Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased a 2015 talon 2 and i am waiting to pick it up. I am just wondering if the components on the trek x-cal 8 are any better? It seems like the fork is a tad better. Please any advice is greatly appreciated. thank you

·
Registered
115 Posts
i would stick with the talon 2 as i like shimano over sram but all the main bits are considered upgrade-able on both imo.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Personally I would go with the Trek,
The Shimano Alivio, on the Giant is crap. I have seen it in action. No good. again My opinion.
The Trek comes with the more common 2x10 the giant is a 3x9 and most the time those cranks set's are a 1 piece chainring set up and would have to replace the whole thing to upgrade it.
Fork is better on the Trek.
I have ridden a Talon 27.5 it was ok. He didn't listen to me and has upgraded everything and could have just bought a better bike from the start.

I do not know if the Giant rims are tubeless ready, Trek's are and are easy to setup that way.

Good luck

Edit: Just noticed where this was posted.
Only way you are getting the Trek in a 27.5 is with frame size (13.5, 15.5) anything bigger is a 29er. SO they are going to feel different if you are comparing the 2016 Trek to a 27.5 Talon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
actually on the talon is deore components. im only 5'8" so i will be getting a 27.5. thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
13,876 Posts
actually on the talon is deore components. im only 5'8" so i will be getting a 27.5. thanks for the advice.
At your height I would test ride a 29 17.5 Trek X-Cal.
It's not about standover. It's about reach/cockpit space while riding.
The stem can be changed to fine tune the fit even for a test ride. It takes 2 minutes and the shop has a box of them in the back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts