Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great to see Surly are still doing the old Pugsley for another year anyway :thumbsup:
I think it is still a great bike despite all the new fatbike stuff going on.

Post up what you love about this great bike :)

Wrote a blog post on what i like about this most versatile bike along with some comparisons ;)

coastrider: 2015 Surly Pugsley! ; still `Fit for Purpose`

·
Registered
480 Posts
well of course the pugs is still valid in 2015 and for the foreseeable future..

bikes, it's just a rigid structure with wheels and components attached to it.. nothing the industry can do will ever be revolutionary.

Rule of diminishing return greatly applies when you compute the delta between pugs and all the more "advanced" fat bikes we have today..

·
Registered
542 Posts
I did a lot of long thinking before ordering my 2014 Pugsley last year. In the end, I wanted the ability to run an IGH on it somewhere down the line, to keep things less muck and grit prone. As it is... 170mm this, symmetrical that, 190mm the other, nothing lets you get normal bike components that just fit and work. There's a lot to be said about a bike that can use standard parts. (except for rims and tires, at any rate).

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
If Surly axes the Pugsley, they're fools. It's the value leader for fatbikes.

It still sucks that they stopped selling them with the offset fork. I find mine very useful.

·
Registered
14,380 Posts
If Surly axes the Pugsley, they're fools. It's the value leader for fatbikes.

It still sucks that they stopped selling them with the offset fork. I find mine very useful.
+1 - on the offset fork...at least Surly is selling it on the side for ~$100 so folks who really want one can still get one.

Now that so many new "upgrades" have come out in the fat bike world it almost seems like they should go back to the offset fork and higher TT just to offer a different product that would appeal to the odd ball riders. ;)

I keep expecting Surly to release a slightly bigger tire that will only work with the ICT and will render a whole bunch of wonder bikes obsolete in the rush to have the best/newest/hype parts.

The Pugs can just keep on trucking quietly ignoring all the hoopla! :cool:

·
Frt Range, CO
2,576 Posts
I'd like to see it upgraded. 100mm suspension fork, Bluto compatible, tapered headtube, modern geometry (73* STA, longer ett, 68*~69* HTA) and those fancy dropouts...with 17.5mm offset...and 29+ compatible. And an offset fork option.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I'd like to see it upgraded. 100mm suspension fork, Bluto compatible, tapered headtube, modern geometry (73* STA, longer ett, 68*~69* HTA) and those fancy dropouts...with 17.5mm offset...and 29+ compatible. And an offset fork option.
I'm sure it will be offered. But as a seperate model costing hundreds more. It's the American way. :)

·
Registered
611 Posts
Pugs doesn't need an upgrade - what you're looking for is a different bike.

I like the Pugsley - it's a modern classic, and really packed the powder for the wave of production fat bikes that followed after. It's still very much my dream bike from when I was 10.

I'm on an ECR now, but I have a feeling a Pug will follow me home at some point.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was hoping to find a thread like this for a few weeks, been lurking around the internet. With all the 26+, 27.5+, 29+, i still think what i'm most interested in is a Pugsley. I've looked at a lot of other fat bikes, and still keep coming back. I'm riding a Ogre now, but want a simple go anywhere mountain bike with fat tires, and am looking at the Pugsley SS, wondering if theres any glaring reason not too? I already have a bike with gears and 99% of the time find myself riding my SS cross bike everywhere because of how much I enjoy the simplicity. Are there any major drawbacks to using standard mountain bike wheel components at 17.5mm offset? Any other advice or pushes to take the plunge and get the pugs is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
There's no disadvantage to offset wheels that I know of. I've had my 28 mm offset Moonlander for a couple of years now and I never noticed it while riding.

·
Registered
266 Posts
On my second Pugsley (2013 model) and still loving it. If you want a rigid fatbike, the Pugsley is as good as ever.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I was hoping to find a thread like this for a few weeks, been lurking around the internet. With all the 26+, 27.5+, 29+, i still think what i'm most interested in is a Pugsley. I've looked at a lot of other fat bikes, and still keep coming back. I'm riding a Ogre now, but want a simple go anywhere mountain bike with fat tires, and am looking at the Pugsley SS, wondering if theres any glaring reason not too? I already have a bike with gears and 99% of the time find myself riding my SS cross bike everywhere because of how much I enjoy the simplicity. Are there any major drawbacks to using standard mountain bike wheel components at 17.5mm offset? Any other advice or pushes to take the plunge and get the pugs is appreciated!
I have a Pugsley and an Ogre, the versatility and handling of both bikes are very similar, ignoring tire width. I am going to try and squeeze 3" gravity Vidars on Blunt 35s into the Ogre. If is was going to run ss on a Pugsley, I would go with an offset fork, you could change ratios by swapping wheels.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I can't say any of that stuff is on or off my wishlist. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing? I have to correct you though and say that the Pug IS 29er+ compatible.

I have an offset fork and it works great. I think they should still come with them. The one thing I wish for with the pugs is more tire clearance. I would like to see it be able to fit a 4.8'' tire even if it means giving up some rear gears.

·
Registered
14,380 Posts
I have an offset fork and it works great. I think they should still come with them. The one thing I wish for with the pugs is more tire clearance. I would like to see it be able to fit a 4.8'' tire even if it means giving up some rear gears.
I agree about the offset forks. At Surly has posted about a new version of the offset fork being available for those that really want them.

I fit BFLs on 82mm rims in both ends of my Pugs. I was running an IGH so I can't speak to derailleur compatibility.

1 - 20 of 243 Posts