Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone been on both? Remedy seems to solve two common complaints (probably way too strong a word for a bike as good as the Tallboy) of head tube angle and small bump compliance. Just wondering if anyone can compare and contrast

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Positives:

Tallboy LTc:
~ Headtube Angle
~ VPP Suspension
~ High bottom bracket

Remedy 9:
~ Re:Aktiv Shock works better, the hotter it gets(insane high-speed damping)
~ ABP feels great
~ Stores water bottle INSIDE downtube
~ Trek OCLV carbon the best in the industry

·
Registered
437 Posts
Positives:

Tallboy LTc:
~ Headtube Angle
~ VPP Suspension
~ High bottom bracket

Remedy 9:
~ ABP feels great
I'm curious (not trolling, as I have a carbon Trek with OCLV) but what makes you state that it's the best in the business?
Are there tests that have been done? I've a Pivot too and if pressed I'd have stated that the carbon on that was better but I don't have anything scientific to base this on, just feel.

I'd be very happy if it is as I love the Trek! :^)

·
Registered
180 Posts
you oughta watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjVTtk1WwuI
oclv = optimized compaction low void
basically the head tube area, bb area, and seat tube top tube junction are all made in two pieces (imagine cutting a frame in 2 symmetrical halves), then bonded together, the air is blasted out on the carbon vs vacuumed out. This process leads to optimized compaction and low void carbon fiber

to the OP: I ordered a 17.5" frame, have never been on a santa cruz. I rode the 9.8 remedy and boy that thing rips but they keep pushing it further out of stock for i settled for 9

·
Registered
437 Posts
you oughta watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjVTtk1WwuI
oclv = optimized compaction low void
basically the head tube area, bb area, and seat tube top tube junction are all made in two pieces (imagine cutting a frame in 2 symmetrical halves), then bonded together, the air is blasted out on the carbon vs vacuumed out. This process leads to optimized compaction and low void carbon fiber

to the OP: I ordered a 17.5" frame, have never been on a santa cruz. I rode the 9.8 remedy and boy that thing rips but they keep pushing it further out of stock for i settled for 9
Thanks for the link. I do recall seeing that video a while aback now. I've certainly no complaints with the Fuel I'm running. :^)

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Sorry to hijack this thread but how much does a Remedy 9 weigh? and is it the same as a 9.8 but only with an aluminum frame?

·
Registered
594 Posts
I looked at both bikes, and the Fuel EX and Scott Genius 29ers, in the past year. I choose the LTc. With that said, I'm still a huge Trek fan and have 3 Treks I love.

Between the LTc and the Remedy I felt the LTc was more fun and playful to ride while the Remedy was more stable. I'm not saying the Remedy isn't fun either, I'm just saying the LTc rode more like an XC bike on flats and uphills where the Remedy wasn't quite as playful. Don't let the head angle fool you either, the LTc rides downhill way more slack than the #s show... It feels more slack than my Stache. If I lived back in Denver again I'd probably have choose the Remedy or Genius for a 29er. Since I live in the midwest and will only travel back west once a year or so, I choose the LTc.

The re:activ fox is worlds better than the Fox on the LTc. A shock change on the LTc can easily match that on the Remedy. With that said, the Fox shock on the LTc does good most of the time. I've ordered a Rockshox Monarch Plus RC3...

Both are great bikes, the Remedy definitely has the stock advantage of the rear shock which really helps make a case... A CC inline or dbair or Rockshox Monarch Plus RC3 are all around $500 and bridge the gap...

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Sorry to hijack this thread but how much does a Remedy 9 weigh? and is it the same as a 9.8 but only with an aluminum frame?
Not sure about the weight, but the carbon frame has a slightly longer top tube and lower bottom bracket than the aluminum version.

Also, I'm not so sure the Fuel might not be a more direct comparison to the TB LTC (or maybe the TB LTC kind of sits between the Remedy and Fuel?).

·
Registered
594 Posts
That's probably the best way to put it, the TB LTc is in between the Fuel and Remedy. From when I rode them, it went like this
Trail -> All Mountain
Fuel - TBLTc - Genius - Remedy

I feel the TBLTc fills the gap nicely between the fuel and remedy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I own the 2015 Remedy 9 29 in an XL in Nysa Blue and it is at just under 30lbs with the 400 gram pedals I currently have on it. Not sure about smaller frame weights, but I read somewhere that the Carbon version shaves off just over a pound.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oh, forgot to mention, I was going back and forth between the LTC and the Treks. It was a tough choice between the two, and I also thought the Cruz handled really well in the couple test rides I did on it. At 6'2" I found the large was too small for me in the LTC and the XL did feel somewhat bulky to me, more so than the Remedy in an XL.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Went to a demo this weekend, looking to replace my Stache with a full suspension. Had my sights on the Remedy which I liked over the Fuel and the new Stumpjumper. I also tried the Tallboy LTC, wow, that bike felt good from the go. I think its the pedaling platform which is awesome, and everything else was pretty even to the Remedy. In the end I will probably stick with Trek because of my LBS but the LTC is nice for sure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
LTC vs Remedy

Went to a demo this weekend, looking to replace my Stache with a full suspension. Had my sights on the Remedy which I liked over the Fuel and the new Stumpjumper. I also tried the Tallboy LTC, wow, that bike felt good from the go. I think its the pedaling platform which is awesome, and everything else was pretty even to the Remedy. In the end I will probably stick with Trek because of my LBS but the LTC is nice for sure.
I think you're on the right track here, Bob. I don't think you can go wrong with either bike. For me, what pushed me more toward the Remedy over the Santa Cruz is, in my area, Central Coast, Ca. there seem to be a lot more people riding Cruz's these days. I like the idea of riding a bike that you don't see very often.

I went with the Remedy because, I really like the feel of the Treks. (I guess it's that G2 thing?) Also, the local LBC doesn't stock Remedy's at all and they seem to steer you away from the Superflys as well, unless you have a racer's body (Clyde here!) and into a Fuel. (They really push the Fuel) I had to drive 60 miles away to find an LBC that stocked the Remedy and a Fuel to do a side-by-side comparison. I ended up buying the Remedy from them. Also, I haven't seen a single person in my area on a Remedy, and I kind of like the exclusivity of that.

·
Registered
481 Posts
JVW, do you have the Remedy in Hi or Lo, I found I liked the Hi better since it was closer to the handling of my Stache and the Fuel. Clyde here as well, 6'2 235. Glad you are having fun with the Remedy. Bob

·
Registered
23 Posts
I tried both, and at first, I liked the hi position better for the exact same reasons you just mentioned, but after a couple hard crashes in sand, I switched back to the low Slacker position. I think you lose some of the nimbleness you get from the higher position, akin to the fuel, but you gain some more stability by stretching-out the frame.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Bob_m... What bike shop did you end up going to that had the remedy in stock? Im on the central coast too and thinking about getting a 9.8 xl but want to at least sit on one before i order it.. 6'2" 230 here also.. Pretty long legs and arms--- just wanting to see how far out the seatpost is --- does the cockpit feel cramped or roomier --- etc

Ps.. if there are any remedy 9.8 riders around my size(6'2" with 34" inseam)--- that can post a pic-- would love your setup.. How high is the seat post? how long of stem did you need etc..

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought mine at Bob's Cycle Center. They had two bike shops in SB, but I think they just centralized to one location in a new building, but not positive?

·
Registered
481 Posts
>Bob_m... What bike shop did you end up going to that had the remedy in stock? < I tested the Remedy at a demo. The 19.5 felt too small for me, even though my Stache is 19.5. -Bob

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Positives:

Tallboy LTc:
~ Headtube Angle
~ VPP Suspension
~ High bottom bracket

Remedy 9:
~ ABP feels great
You missed a few important pros/cons

If OP was talking about a new/current model bike
Remedy comes with a Boost rear hub, x1 cranks, dropper post
Santa Cruz doesn't even list a LTc anymore just the LTcc which gets up there in price really fast,.

Also the VPP is great but the Full Float on the trek also very Plush
HA is more rider opinion and riding style
The LT also has a really long chainstay length

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know this post is getting old, but to any who are still looking at it, I found out a couple days ago that the LTC was pulled because Santa Cruz is redesigning it. It will be out again in the future. I don't know exactly when though?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts