Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any feedback on a shock upgrade on an older Mach4? The existing Fox CTD is crap. I have a takeoff from an Ibis Ripley that is the same length and stroke but the tuning codes are of course different.

The shock tuning code for a current mach4 is DWTS which basically means it has medium digressive compression and rebound damping. The Fox DPS Evol from the Ripley is linear with a light compression tune and medium rebound. Both bikes are dw link of course but I believe Pivots from that era were known to ride firm.

This is for wife's bike. Kitted up she's 128lb so I'm thinking the Ripley takeoff with a light linear compression tune will be just fine. Not sure why Pivot now specs a digressive tune other that to give more platform?

I'm open to other ideas for a shock upgrade. One is simply sending the CTD to avalanche for Craig's shim stack mod and evisceration of the boost valve.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,216 Posts
Yes, I would definitely do the last option, send it to Avalanche. I did that with my DPS and it’s great, OEM will not outperform custom. Unless it’s an Evolution CTD, then it’s really just crap, but I doubt Pivot put a shock that bad on their bikes (the evolution series that doesn’t have a shimmed rebound circuit, not to be confused with evol air cans).

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I would definitely do the last option, send it to Avalanche. I did that with my DPS and it's great, OEM will not outperform custom. Unless it's an Evolution CTD, then it's really just crap, but I doubt Pivot put a shock that bad on their bikes (the evolution series that doesn't have a shimmed rebound circuit, not to be confused with evol air cans).
It's a basic Float CTD with boost valve.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.