Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried searching all the 27.5+ threads and Niner JET9 threads and I've found some good feedback on RIP9 and WFO9 with 27.5+ setups; however, I've found nothing about the JET9 frames and their ability to run 27.5+ sizes. To be more specific, I'm hoping to mount 27.5 Roval Traverse Fattie SLs (30mm ID) and I would like to know if anyone has had any success with 2.8 tires (Nobby Nics) on the JET9. I'm pretty sure the Fork will not be a problems, but I'm concerned about the frame. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
602 Posts
niner doesnt really do model years so its difficult to say without more information. I know that the newest versions of the jet, both rdo and aluminum can do 27.5+. I doubt that the older versions can because they were from the time before 27.5+. I think people had limited success with 27.5x2.8 on some of the older rip rdo frames but I've not tried it personally.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
niner doesnt really do model years so its difficult to say without more information. I know that the newest versions of the jet, both rdo and aluminum can do 27.5+. I doubt that the older versions can because they were from the time before 27.5+. I think people had limited success with 27.5x2.8 on some of the older rip rdo frames but I've not tried it personally.
Thanks. I'm hoping someone has actually tried it and can specify what did or didn't work (vs just running the math). My JET9 is the last model of the JET9 AL, before the new 27.5+ specific models.

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
I don't think you'll have a problem.. Usually the Alumium JET's have more space across the chainstays than the carbon.. I converted my JET RDO over. While the Nobby Nic in the 2.8 version might be a tight fit, there are other options out there. WTB 2.5 Breakout is a huge tire for a 2.5 that fits nicely along with their Trailblazer 2.8. I REALLY like my RDO in this conversion. The BB is right at 13" and it just rails the turns.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Thanks. I'm hoping someone has actually tried it and can specify what did or didn't work (vs just running the math). My JET9 is the last model of the JET9 AL, before the new 27.5+ specific models.
I have the same question, my prev. gen. jet 9 just sits around and I was wondering about converting to 27.5+.
Did you (or anyone else ) ever end up trying it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately, while the 2.8s did technically fit, there was very little space to clear any mud or debris. I wound up putting them on an older RIP9 (2010 model) and love the 2.8s. In fact, the Jet 9 is now the loaner for my friends and my oldest son when he rides. I would recommend going with something a little smaller than the nobby nic 2.8s. I think I've seen some 2.6s advertised a few places and that may be the perfect tire combination for the Jet 9.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Unfortunately, while the 2.8s did technically fit, there was very little space to clear any mud or debris. I wound up putting them on an older RIP9 (2010 model) and love the 2.8s. In fact, the Jet 9 is now the loaner for my friends and my oldest son when he rides. I would recommend going with something a little smaller than the nobby nic 2.8s. I think I've seen some 2.6s advertised a few places and that may be the perfect tire combination for the Jet 9.
Excellent, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I upgraded to a RKT a while back and now have an original JET carbon sitting around also. Im also gonna convert it to 27.5+ish as a play bike. I was never really happy with how high I felt on it for an XC race bike. It has 120 fork and plenty of BB clearance so excited to see how the ride is lowered with the slightly smaller wheels. Just ordered 2.6 Rocket rons which should fit with plenty of room to spare. Im glad to find this post and just wanted to contribute if others considering. Will report back when set up...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts