Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like my 2015 FuelEX 9.8 with 27.5 wheels, but feel like it is a bit short along the top and am thinking of getting a bigger bike. I prefer the way 27.5 wheels ride for tight, twisty singletrack... which is primarily what we have here. I'm not getting a lot of air.

Given the wheel size, and the geometry--I think I would like the 2019 Remedy 9.8. I don't need the extra travel, but I don't race and am guessing it climbs pretty decent and I don't want a 29er.

Any thoughts from those who have ridden both bikes? My local shop doesn't really ever have any FuelEX or Remedy models in stock, so I'm going in a bit blind.

·
Thinking about riding.
2,169 Posts
I really like my 2015 FuelEX 9.8 with 27.5 wheels, but feel like it is a bit short along the top and am thinking of getting a bigger bike. I prefer the way 27.5 wheels ride for tight, twisty singletrack... which is primarily what we have here. I'm not getting a lot of air.

Given the wheel size, and the geometry--I think I would like the 2019 Remedy 9.8. I don't need the extra travel, but I don't race and am guessing it climbs pretty decent and I don't want a 29er.

Any thoughts from those who have ridden both bikes? My local shop doesn't really ever have any FuelEX or Remedy models in stock, so I'm going in a bit blind.
I've owned both (2015 Fuel EX 9 27.5 and 2019 Remedy 8) and they're very different bikes. I do agree though, if you like your Fuel and aren't worried about being the fastest on the climbs you will definitely like the Remedy. You'll find the Remedy to be much, much more stable and confident but still fairly nimble in turns. Honestly I think you'll immediately feel like the Fuel is too anemic - that 32 was a big shortcoming for me.

·
Community Manager at Trek
466 Posts
I'd also consider the Fuel EX 8 Plus as well. It would climb well, but it has more suspension travel than the 29er FEX as well as 27.5+ wheels and tires for a playful and stable setup. It's not carbon, but it is a great value. If you want carbon, you could always move to the 9.7, 9.8, 9.9 and change the wheels and tires to a 27.5+ combination, but you have to increase the suspension travel to raise the BB.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I'd also consider the Fuel EX 8 Plus as well. It would climb well, but it has more suspension travel than the 29er FEX as well as 27.5+ wheels and tires for a playful and stable setup. It's not carbon, but it is a great value. If you want carbon, you could always move to the 9.7, 9.8, 9.9 and change the wheels and tires to a 27.5+ combination, but you have to increase the suspension travel to raise the BB.
What he ^ said

OP.
The two bikes you listed aren't in the same category. The new Fuel EX is a awesome bike and can do just about anything. The Remedy is a BIG bike and wants DH trails. It will climb but not well and you will feel it.

·
Thinking about riding.
2,169 Posts
What he ^ said

OP.
The two bikes you listed aren't in the same category. The new Fuel EX is a awesome bike and can do just about anything. The Remedy is a BIG bike and wants DH trails. It will climb but not well and you will feel it.
Nah, you're overstating the difference. The Remedy is a trail bike, albeit a fairly aggressive one. I've done 100 mile races on Remedys, as well as riding full-on DH with 5+ foot hucks to flat... It handles both about equally well. I'd say the sweet spot is probably a 20-30 mile day with a couple 4 foot hucks with a decent landing mixed in... But for straight up DH riding you'd want a 170 bike or even just a DH bike - definitely not a Remedy.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Nah, you're overstating the difference. The Remedy is a trail bike, albeit a fairly aggressive one. I've done 100 mile races on Remedys, as well as riding full-on DH with 5+ foot hucks to flat... It handles both about equally well. I'd say the sweet spot is probably a 20-30 mile day with a couple 4 foot hucks with a decent landing mixed in... But for straight up DH riding you'd want a 170 bike or even just a DH bike - definitely not a Remedy.
I's ridden one and Owned a 2018 Slash 9.8, It's a big bike.
With the OP not needing the travel of the new Remedy not point in getting one with what the Fuel can do.

I wouldn't call the Remedy a trail bike personally. Trek doesn't even
Fuel - versatile trail bike
Remedy - all-mountain category

It's really just a 27.5 Slash

Anything can be ridden on nearly any bike. Just some bikes are better in area's others aren't. I am not holding on to my kids wheel up a climb on my Slash vs his Procal when that climb is 4 miles long and hits 23% grade at points. But it will still get me to the top. As you said, I have seen people do long 50-100 miles races on some higher traveled bike back in Dec. for a 12 hour race. They hated it. but still did it.

·
Thinking about riding.
2,169 Posts
I's ridden one and Owned a 2018 Slash 9.8, It's a big bike.
With the OP not needing the travel of the new Remedy not point in getting one with what the Fuel can do.

I wouldn't call the Remedy a trail bike personally. Trek doesn't even
Fuel - versatile trail bike
Remedy - all-mountain category

It's really just a 27.5 Slash

Anything can be ridden on nearly any bike. Just some bikes are better in area's others aren't. I am not holding on to my kids wheel up a climb on my Slash vs his Procal when that climb is 4 miles long and hits 23% grade at points. But it will still get me to the top. As you said, I have seen people do long 50-100 miles races on some higher traveled bike back in Dec. for a 12 hour race. They hated it. but still did it.
I've owned two Fuels and four Remedys in the last five years.

OP said he wants a bigger bike. I guess we'd need to find out why, but I took him at his word.

All-mountain is ridden on trail bikes. I don't care what a marketing team says. The Slash is still a trail bike too... Trek doesn't make a true 'big bike' which typically means either 160+mm, or more frequently in my experience; an actual downhill bike.

If anything, the Remedy is less aggressive than the Slash in geometry.

I've done the Shenandoah Mountain 100 twice on a Remedy, once on a Fuel. I noticed zero difference except I had more fun descending on the Remedy. I was faster on the Remedy both years (not a fair comparison for a number of reasons, but worth noting).

We don't know enough about the why behind what the OP wants, however taking his post at face value he will enjoy a Remedy just fine... You seem to be skewed towards smaller bikes and projecting that onto him. (I may be skewed toward bigger bikes and projecting as well, we just don't have much info.)

·
Registered
2,426 Posts

I've owned two Fuels and four Remedys in the last five years.

OP said he wants a bigger bike. I guess we'd need to find out why, but I took him at his word.

All-mountain is ridden on trail bikes. I don't care what a marketing team says. The Slash is still a trail bike too... Trek doesn't make a true 'big bike' which typically means either 160+mm, or more frequently in my experience; an actual downhill bike.

If anything, the Remedy is less aggressive than the Slash in geometry.

I've done the Shenandoah Mountain 100 twice on a Remedy, once on a Fuel. I noticed zero difference except I had more fun descending on the Remedy. I was faster on the Remedy both years (not a fair comparison for a number of reasons, but worth noting).

We don't know enough about the why behind what the OP wants, however taking his post at face value he will enjoy a Remedy just fine... You seem to be skewed towards smaller bikes and projecting that onto him. (I may be skewed toward bigger bikes and projecting as well, we just don't have much info.)
I took his Post has a bigger bike - Frame size. and the I don't need the xtra travel to point towards a fuel.

Each of us ride differently.
I loved my Slash. It was a point and shoot bike on the DH.

But I do race a lot of XC stuff just on a SS. My fuel covers anything in between. Unless you are doing 5 foot drops and big ass jumps the Remedy in my opinion isn't needed, even at that, The fuel can handle it.

Can't really go wrong with either bike. One will just ride better in some area's as the other won't on both ends.

·
Thinking about riding.
2,169 Posts
I took his Post has a bigger bike - Frame size. and the I don't need the xtra travel to point towards a fuel.

Each of use ride differently.
I loved my Slash. It was a point and shoot bike on the DH.

But I do race a lot of XC stuff just on a SS. My fuel covers anything in between. Unless you are doing 5 foot drops and big ass jumps the Remedy in my opinion isn't needed, even at that, The fuel can handle it.

Can't really go wrong with either bike. One will just ride better in some area's as the other won't on both ends.
Ya, I can't really disagree with you. Based on the limited info we have the Fuel is probably the best choice.

OP - It's definitely worth noting that a new Fuel today is the equivalent of the Remedy back in 2015.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I am just looking for a longer bike… If I would have bought an 18.5 size in 2015, I wouldn’t be shopping. I ride a lot of tight switchbacks, am only 5’6” tall, and hated the big 29er wheels on my previous bike.

I’m not going to do advanced bike park stuff—probably nothing more advanced than something like The Whole Enchilada in Moab.

I sure appreciate all the feedback!

·
Thinking about riding.
2,169 Posts
Yes, I am just looking for a longer bike… If I would have bought an 18.5 size in 2015, I wouldn’t be shopping. I ride a lot of tight switchbacks, am only 5’6” tall, and hated the big 29er wheels on my previous bike.

I’m not going to do advanced bike park stuff—probably nothing more advanced than something like The Whole Enchilada in Moab.

I sure appreciate all the feedback!
I'd definitely put you in for a Fuel then, but the wheel size may be an issue. I prefer the 27.5+ model anyway since it comes with ten extra mm of travel up front, but even those wheels may feel too large for you. I'd definitely give it a try with an open mind though.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Stirring the pot here, but- I found the Remedy to be much easier to ride than the Fuel EX Plus on semi-technical climbing because the Remedy's BB is much higher. The Fuel EX Plus is low enough that it is hard to avoid pedal strikes even on relatively level but narrow trails on the uphill side.

I'm pretty sure that sagged, the Fuel EX 29er and Remedy are pretty close to the same bb height- and the FEX Plus is about 1/2" lower.

I own a Remedy myself btw, the Remedy is NOT big by today's sizing standards. As an example, an XL Stumpy ST (as in the 130MM travel version) 27.5 has a wheelbase of 1234 and a reach of 490, a 21.5 Remedy is 1232 and 481. The regular travel 27.5 stumpy has 1243/480. If you can't call a Stumpy a trailbike, I guess I don't know what a trail bike is. Look at a Canyon Spectral "our take on the modern trail bike" and look how close the geo compares.

Trek does call the Remedy a trail bike. When you go to Trek's site and click on "trail" bikes the Remedy was the first bike that pops up btw.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I'll go give the Remedy 9.x and FuelEX 9.x a test ride in a bigger city. Maybe the 29er rides a ton better than last time I was on one (I've used several, but the last one I owned was a Rumblefish). I don't need all the travel on the Remedy, but my guess is I'm going to prefer the wheels and geometry.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Oh ya, Fuel EX 29 vs Rumblefish is pretty big change- especially the 9.8 with CF everything.

Can't go wrong testing everything.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I think I'll go give the Remedy 9.x and FuelEX 9.x a test ride in a bigger city. Maybe the 29er rides a ton better than last time I was on one (I've used several, but the last one I owned was a Rumblefish). I don't need all the travel on the Remedy, but my guess is I'm going to prefer the wheels and geometry.
The Fuel in 27.5+ have some close number's GEO wise to the Remedy. just less 20mm travel front and back. Remedy feel Slack compared to the fuel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts