Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
281 - 300 of 1055 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
cheers

The standard 34mm is a big improvement over previous versions, BUT small bump compliance is poor. With a hand injury I want that part resolved.

There will be no issue at all.
It is an easy swap...remove your old one, cut the new one at the same steerer length if you feel ok with old length and that's all.
The 15mm axle wont be a problem , new Talas comes with conversion 15/20mm kit. (15mm is mounted by default)

·
Registered
871 Posts
cheers

The standard 34mm is a big improvement over previous versions, BUT small bump compliance is poor. With a hand injury I want that part resolved.
I believe your Trance SX has OverDrive2 (1-1/2<->1-1/4 taper)steertube

You'll need a new upper headset cup and a new stem to go with the FOX 36 standard taper (1-1/2<->1-1/8)

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
If you're worried about climbing and lack of QR - the 36 is probably not for you. A 34 or a Pike would be a better choice.
I cranked up the LSC on my 36 the other day for a big out of the saddle pavement climb and it was great. I was thought I was going to miss the lockout as well, but it was a non issue.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Easy solution. Get to the top of a climb and back off the LSC to your set point.

This season I've been playing around with suspension more so than before, so I record settings and changes into my iPhone.

Lock-out levers are for people trying to win races.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I believe your Trance SX has OverDrive2 (1-1/2<->1-1/4 taper)steertube

You'll need a new upper headset cup and a new stem to go with the FOX 36 standard taper (1-1/2<->1-1/8)
Right forgot to mention the upper head bearing :thumbsup:...for the stem, you don't need a new one to swap, just need a shim adapter...

·
May contain nuts
2,440 Posts
I have a Giant Trance Adv SX which has the Fox 27.5 34mm Talas 140/160.

What are the chances a 36mm 27.5 Talas Rc2 130/160 would fit as an upgrade? If 'yes' ...forgive my ignorance but is it simply an easy swap over or will I Giant/steerer issues I need to address? (I gather the 15mm axle I have is no problem with the conversion kit)
Overdrive 2? You'll need a different top bearing...

·
Registered
27 Posts
My next step will be to drop a few psi more (68 down to 65) and trying 2 blue spacers (total 15.2cc) instead of the 1 orange (10.8cc). I felt a bit more ramp up with slightly lower initial pressure would dial it in just that tiny bit more. From there on, just a matter of tweaking the LSC for different conditions.

This fork is awesome.
LCW... How did 2 x BLUE work out? I just installed a 27.5 160mm on my Bronson and totally digging this fork. Had the basic 34 Evolution previously.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
I'm running 2 blue spacers and prefer it over 1 orange spacer. Just a bit more progressiveness of the air spring curve. Can run a bit more sag and not bottom out. Small bump compliance is improved and bike is super controlled through chunky rock gardens. Really digging it this way. Should have tried this sooner!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm running 2 blue spacers and prefer it over 1 orange spacer. Just a bit more progressiveness of the air spring curve. Can run a bit more sag and not bottom out. Small bump compliance is improved and bike is super controlled through chunky rock gardens. Really digging it this way. Should have tried this sooner!
Thanks...I'm gonna give 1 x ORANGE a try and see how that goes. Will toy with 2 x BLUE after that. Just need to get my 32MM socket un-chamfered (e.g. ground down flat).

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Thanks...I'm gonna give 1 x ORANGE a try and see how that goes. Will toy with 2 x BLUE after that. Just need to get my 32MM socket un-chamfered (e.g. ground down flat).
the 2 x blue spacers is working great for me so far. In fact, I might notched it up a bit for a bit more ramp up, with 1 x blue + 1 x orange.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am getting wicked brake dive with this fork. I'm running 1 x ORANGE spacer and anywhere from 66 - 83 PSI (trying to figure out if sag is playing a role). I've tried with LSC and HSC fully closed (clockwise) and open. I'm running a simple test on the street where I hit front brake really hard and it compresses way more than my basic Evolution fork.

On a side note, I had a big wipe out last week where I can't remember 10 mins before crash and about 50 mins after (after riding another mile or so down more singletrack to my car, loading bike, and driving myself to emergency room...don't remember any of that). I have the vague recollection of feeling a real good landing and then the crash...and I think it was the fork diving on me and launching me or something.

Am I missing something on my setup? More spacers? Too little oil? Fork is/was brand new.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I am getting wicked brake dive with this fork. I'm running 1 x ORANGE spacer and anywhere from 66 - 83 PSI (trying to figure out if sag is playing a role). I've tried with LSC and HSC fully closed (clockwise) and open. I'm running a simple test on the street where I hit front brake really hard and it compresses way more than my basic Evolution fork.

On a side note, I had a big wipe out last week where I can't remember 10 mins before crash and about 50 mins after (after riding another mile or so down more singletrack to my car, loading bike, and driving myself to emergency room...don't remember any of that). I have the vague recollection of feeling a real good landing and then the crash...and I think it was the fork diving on me and launching me or something.

Am I missing something on my setup? More spacers? Too little oil? Fork is/was brand new.
Body Weight?

Picture of bike?

Could be rear shock settings, my 36 doesn't dive at all, has lots of midstroke support. One of the key features of the fork IMO. I'm 180 run 68 psi, 9 click from open compression, barely any hsc

·
Registered
27 Posts
Body Weight?

Picture of bike?

Could be rear shock settings, my 36 doesn't dive at all, has lots of midstroke support. One of the key features of the fork IMO. I'm 180 run 68 psi, 9 click from open compression, barely any hsc
I'm about 210 geared up. Bike is Bronson with Float X CTD rear shock. Went to bike store between last msg and now. Didn't think there was anything wrong with fork. Suggested mid point on HSC and 1-2 clicks from closed on LSC. Also thought my front brakes had too much stopping power for the setup. Suggested filing some of pad off to shave some stopping power off. I am running Guide RSC with 203mm rotor up front. The owner\tech seems to know his stuff.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I'm about 210 geared up. Bike is Bronson with Float X CTD rear shock. Went to bike store between last msg and now. Didn't think there was anything wrong with fork. Suggested mid point on HSC and 1-2 clicks from closed on LSC. Also thought my front brakes had too much stopping power for the setup. Suggested filing some of pad off to shave some stopping power off. I am running Guide RSC with 203mm rotor up front. The owner\tech seems to know his stuff.

Any thoughts?
If you're that heavy (on a correct pump guage) I'd say you should be running near 75-80PSI. The spring is whats supposed to hold your weight and then use the compression to dial things in. Having to turn your low speed compression that high is no good and shows something is way off.

Another problem is how you're determining dive. Parking lot brake slam trials is not correct way. Need to go ride the bike on a good trail a few times and find key spots that replicate different scenarios. First run your low speed all the way off and get a decent sag/psi setting. Then dial in LSC. Any bike will dive if you weight the frontend and then slam on the brakes. I'm running the new Guide RSC's as well with 7/6" combo

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Make sure your rebound on your shock isn't set ridiculously fast or something incorrect (spring rate way too high) and making the rear unload too quickly. Im not a fan of slow rebound settings but you definitely don't want the shock wide open on rebound

You might need another air spring token, but only if you're using all the travel way too often. Also heavier riders need more air volume for more mid support. Adding a bunch of spacers you would end up dropping the psi which will make it more compliant but not bottom out as easy. You need more volume it sounds like, for more mid stroke support. Then dial in some HSC to help with bottoming.

·
Registered
336 Posts
having similar problem - maybe after a hard bottoming out, or maybe after letting fork get cold (28 °F)?

"Stretch the fork fully extended and cycle within 1-5mm of full extension to remove air from the negative chamber."

can you clarify these directions please? I should let all air out, then stretch to full extension, then push back down all the way and back up again to within 1-5 mm of full extension - should I be holding valve open when cycling back down and close it off when stretching it back up? How many cycles do I do? I tried it once and did not get the air out of negative chamber - should I remove top cap? thanks!!

281 - 300 of 1055 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.