Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a bike with this shock in the rear and the frame will not accommodate a coil shock. I'm a 280lb rider and was wondering if this shock can be pumped up to higher than 300 psi?

I know Fox will never say that you can, but I am wondering if anyone has done this? What this risks are of doing this? If anyone has enough knowledge about the internals/build that they could give me an educated guess on what the max is with moderate risk of blowing o-rings?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Can't answer your question directly but have you tried volume spacers to prevent bottoming out without exceeding the rated pressure?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't yet, honestly I haven't even got the bike yet. I ordered it last week and just am trying to do a little research because I know it might be an issue...especially the way I ride. I have seen info on volume spacers and that might be an option.

I was told by someone at a local bike shop that increasing air pressure above the max of 300 is safe on that shock, but I wanted to seek out some more opinions on the matter.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Not sure if it was related to pressure in general or an isolated incident, but there was a guy in the Vorsprung Corset thread that went over 300 and immediately blew a seal while riding. That so far has been the only thing in recent memory of someone posting about issues with higher pressures in the float X

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure if it was related to pressure in general or an isolated incident, but there was a guy in the Vorsprung Corset thread that went over 300 and immediately blew a seal while riding. That so far has been the only thing in recent memory of someone posting about issues with higher pressures in the float X
Not what I wanted to hear...But thanks. I'll take note of that. Where in Idaho you at?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
did you not try the bike before you got it ino rder to see if you could safely run the shock?
Actually I did not. However I did get to sit on a bike with the same size frame and it is the best one that fits me. I am 6 foot 9 and there is not a lot of options for frame sizes. If I have to I will lose another 50 pounds. This bike fits me that well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts