Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

6381 - 6400 of 6420 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
TurboWolf, does that mean you'll have a Riot to sell?

·
Registered
9,176 Posts
This question/comment came up on the More 2020 Models thread. What would you consider a short enough seat tube? Original Riot was 457. Gen 2 went to 432. Tilt is now 420. For comparison, the Revel Rascal is 415.
Here's my answer on that thread:

I ride with 165mm cranks and will fit a OneUp 160mm dropper on a medium. Im 5'6" 29" inseam. I have a medium Riot that I cut the seat tube to be able to do this. IMHO, the seat tube length doesn't seam to be an issue. I agree about the colors not being the best.
Maybe for you. Maybe it's the difference between a medium and large frames.
I'm 5'11' / 32'' so definitely a large frame. I'm finding out I have a short inseam for my height. I'm also not someone that thinks they need a 200mm dropper.

Anyway on my current Ripley that has a 470/18.5 I can barely fit a 125mm dropper. So on a Tilt I still couldn't go bigger. I already ride 170mm cranks.
I don't think it's too much to want to fit a 150 dropper on a modern large frame.

Curious on the short seat tube comments. What would be considered "better"? For example the gen 2 Riot, in a medium, was 432mm. The Tilt is 420. Revel Rascal is 415. How short is short?
Since other frames are mentioned:
Large Rascal is 445/ 17.5
Large V4 Ripley 418/ 16.5
S4 Stumpjumper 425/ 16.7

·
Registered
599 Posts
Here's my answer on that thread:

Maybe for you. Maybe it's the difference between a medium and large frames.
I'm 5'11' / 32'' so definitely a large frame. I'm finding out I have a short inseam for my height. I'm also not someone that thinks they need a 200mm dropper.

Anyway on my current Ripley that has a 470/18.5 I can barely fit a 125mm dropper. So on a Tilt I still couldn't go bigger. I already ride 170mm cranks.
I don't think it's too much to want to fit a 150 dropper on a modern large frame.

Since other frames are mentioned:
Large Rascal is 445/ 17.5
Large V4 Ripley 418/ 16.5
S4 Stumpjumper 425/ 16.7

I'm 6ft, 31.5" inseam, and I can get a 185mm bike yoke on my Krampus with a 470mm seat tube. My gravel bike has a 160... What post and seat are you using?

·
Registered
9,176 Posts
I'm 6ft, 31.5" inseam, and I can get a 185mm bike yoke on my Krampus with a 470mm seat tube. My gravel bike has a 160... What post and seat are you using?
Right now running a Fox Transfer. I have both a Phenom and Ergon. I'm sure a lose a little from the thin Crampons.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Fox Transfer is the longest in terms of distance from collar to rails for it's travel (ton of unusable space between the top of the used part of stanchion and the saddle rails). If you switched to Oneup you'd gain a lot in available travel.

·
Premium Member
8,790 Posts
What do you Think?
Worth it to upgrade?
If you got the cash, sure, it’s probably a better bike than the original, since Lance has had time to work on improvements.

I’d consider one if wasn’t already riding GG bikes.

·
Registered
9,176 Posts
Fox Transfer is the longest in terms of distance from collar to rails for it's travel (ton of unusable space between the top of the used part of stanchion and the saddle rails). If you switched to Oneup you'd gain a lot in available travel.
Not sure I'd call it a lot.
Both 150mm posts from bottom of collar to seat rails:
Fox Transfer 188.2 mm
V2 oneUp 183 mm

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes for me it is. The changes lance made to that 2020 balance were subtle and yet comparing it to my 2016 balance. What a difference. I was and continue to be impressed everywhere I take it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to hear that. Love my ‘16 Balance and will have my new built soon. The 29er Balance (Lithium)is very tempting.

·
Registered
182 Posts
before I will found the money for the LITHIUM maybe I will order jade coil with canecreek light coil!
but I will consider about pedaling?
Its ok with the riot or its very bad and I have to go with lock switch?

Im thinkg if change easyli the low speed compresion to turn it when I have a lot pedaling...

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
before I will found the money for the LITHIUM maybe I will order jade coil with canecreek light coil!

Im thinkg if change easyli the low speed compresion to turn it when I have a lot pedaling...
The Riot peddles great with A coil. And even better in tech climbs. It has a lot of flex when it bottoms out. So I'm getting the Lithium and keeping the Riot. As an only bike I ask too much from it.. On trails its not maxed out the Riot is awesome.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Not sure I'd call it a lot.
Both 150mm posts from bottom of collar to seat rails:
Fox Transfer 188.2 mm
V2 oneUp 183 mm
You mentioned that you are on a Phenom saddle. So was i mine had a 30mm saddle stack height. I switched to a SQ Labs 611 and its 10mm lower if I recall correctly. Also more comfortable belive it or not.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 2015, my one and only. Tempted to get a chrome Nimble9 but this bike is perfect for my terrain and riding style. Might change the fork out to a Trust. Anyone tried one on their Riot?

·
I'm with stupid
5,920 Posts
My 2015, my one and only. Tempted to get a chrome Nimble9 but this bike is perfect for my terrain and riding style. Might change the fork out to a Trust. Anyone tried one on their Riot?
View attachment 1380013
Crazy how these bikes fit people so different. You seat all the way up position is the same as my seat all the way down position with a 150mm dropper. I truly hate being all legs, fronts of bikes are always so low.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Pls note that CC valt isn't actually a light one.
Me personally opted for CC inline and Ti coil (also fox SLS can fit). It weights a tad more than Topaz. 480g for coil (450 coil) vs 410 topaz. I assume fox SLS could even be lighter.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Pls note that CC valt isn't actually a light one.
Me personally opted for CC inline and Ti coil (also fox SLS can fit). It weights a tad more than Topaz. 480g for coil (450 coil) vs 410 topaz. I assume fox SLS could even be lighter.
It doesnt bother me a lot the weight penalty just like pedal efficiency...
ok I find that sls from fox its light but is epxensive one!

Im thinking jade with that coil in 500 or 550 for begining..
https://www.tftuned.com/cane-creek-valt-lightweight-steel-springs-225-stroke/p3251

fox sls 2.4x500 maybe its ok or not?
its very expensive I think...

·
Registered
87 Posts
It doesnt bother me a lot the weight penalty just like pedal efficiency...
ok I find that sls from fox its light but is epxensive one!

Im thinking jade with that coil in 500 or 550 for begining..
https://www.tftuned.com/cane-creek-valt-lightweight-steel-springs-225-stroke/p3251

fox sls 2.4x500 maybe its ok or not?
its very expensive I think...
Go with Valt then. Definitely a cheaper option, while you could also check for previously used springs to get some savings.

Towards the 2.4 length spring, it depend on it's actual length.
So you'd better to check its length vs shock body max allowance.

Just an example: my Valt 2.25/450 spring to be compressed a bit for installation/remove from CC inline body. Shock bottom has a raised inner edge (spring guide), so it interferes with spring itself.
With ti spring there's no issues as it's 7 or 10 mm shorter than Valt.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I love my 1st gen Yelli, and want to add a second bike. I would love a full suspension Yelli, and it seems like the RIOT is that. I need an XL if anyone has one coming up for sale. I have a nice non-boost wheelset, cranks etc., plus I don't want to wait until April (or later) for a Tilt. Curious if you RIOT owners think the Tilt will be much better, and if you would recommend a used RIOT or another similar from from another mfg?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I love my 1st gen Yelli, and want to add a second bike. I would love a full suspension Yelli, and it seems like the RIOT is that. I need an XL if anyone has one coming up for sale. I have a nice non-boost wheelset, cranks etc., plus I don't want to wait until April (or later) for a Tilt. Curious if you RIOT owners think the Tilt will be much better, and if you would recommend a used RIOT or another similar from from another mfg?
I also have a gen 1 Yelli. And I had owned a 2017 (the gen 2) Riot). From what I've learned along the way and my personal experience: The Riot is a great bike, but feels different than the Yelli. They are close for sure, but I wouldn't consider the Riot a FS Yelli I felt much more cramped on the Riot (it did have a slightly shorter stem). The gen 1 Yelli has 10x135 rear spacing. The Riot is 12x142, and will fit boost spacing (148). I'm not sure offhand on the bottom bracket shell widths and if your cranks could be moved over. I have a Tilt on order to replace the Riot. If you can find an XL Riot at a good price (compared to the $4300+ for a new Tilt), I wouldn't hesitate. It's a great bike.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I also have a gen 1 Yelli. And I had owned a 2017 (the gen 2) Riot). From what I've learned along the way and my personal experience: The Riot is a great bike, but feels different than the Yelli. They are close for sure, but I wouldn't consider the Riot a FS Yelli I felt much more cramped on the Riot (it did have a slightly shorter stem). The gen 1 Yelli has 10x135 rear spacing. The Riot is 12x142, and will fit boost spacing (148). I'm not sure offhand on the bottom bracket shell widths and if your cranks could be moved over. I have a Tilt on order to replace the Riot. If you can find an XL Riot at a good price (compared to the $4300+ for a new Tilt), I wouldn't hesitate. It's a great bike.
Thanks, I am looking to keep the Yelli and move stuff over from a Niner Jet 9 that I have, that's where the 12x142 wheels are coming from, not the Yelli. That is interesting that the RIOT was more cramped. I'm 6'2" with a 36" inseam. On tight switchbacks on my Yelli I actually hit my knees on the handlbar.

6381 - 6400 of 6420 Posts