Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
ups and downs
15,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, more nonsensical announcer chatter.... "Emily batty from Ontario, Quebec, Canada." Really? Really? At least that wasn't Colt talking that particular nonsense, it was the other dude. Colt has had his fair share of nonsense chatter.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm watching it right now.
It's hard to keep the pace with the race, but it's great being able to watch XC races after dinner ;)
Can't tell if this is a nice course or not, broadcasting shows very distant images, but seems to be a bit dull, doesn't it?
But what is really a pity is the lack of spectators, cyclocross races in the US use to have pretty good crowds...

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
Raced there today myself. Man, the top pros make those short punchy steep technical climbs look like nothing. Impressive. The course is one of the more challenging ones we have out here. Not much time to recover, especially since the dh sections are so rutted.

I loved the coverage. Props to Sho-Air for making this all happen.

·
Wrench
769 Posts
Great race. Just finished the men's and women's.

From what Gould was saying, the backside downhill is certainly fast. It was good to see Dan take the win. Very much like in Abstalt.

Marco held on for a good long while. For a moment I was hoping that Wells would be in the top three, but he had a great ride with a 4th place podium spot.

Still, the pros make it look effortless.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I love having US MTB live coverage! However, it is a little ironic that it is inconvenient to watch North American races live because they're on during prime riding time! Euro races are great because I can wake up and watch them with morning coffee, get stoked, then go out for a ride myself during the day.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,342 Posts
Much better coverage this time.

The use of the drones was great. They should do that for every race. XC, CX, DH, whatever. Provides a relatively cheap, following-the-action perspective previously only seen in road racing, where they've had helicopters following the racers.

·
ups and downs
15,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think they just deleted that whole section in the SE corner and went down the road to connect up with that run around the NE side of the hill.

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
Anyone else feel like an absolute schlub watching how much power those folks can lay down?
For the first time, I have been able to watch the top pros in the world climb the same exact sections as me. Very humbling indeed...and I am no slouch. I just sat in front of my computer shaking my head...haha.

What surprised me is how often they got out of the saddle in the super steep technical areas of the course. The video footage does no justice. Most of us lowly Cat 1's remained in the saddle for the grind up.

Running a Renegade in the rear, I even lost traction a couple of times while seated.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I suck when the trail goes up. I am currently at 190, really should be at about 175 - 180, but beer is good.

Some of those climbs I was like "Yep, that's where I would start walking, and that bush right there is where I would puke, and that rock might stop me when I pass out and start rolling back down".

Those folks are impressive.

·
XCdude
1,317 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nice post. Thanks for that. Looks like a pretty cool place to ride. There was one climb with a few obstacles that looked kind of nasty to me, but it looks like a fun challenge!

·
Registered
434 Posts

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
Our racer running top 50, he is under the weather, also 19. Gridded dead last after a screwup. Passed 65 guys, fun ride.:thumbsup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5plZnexRo7A The singletrack downhill starts at around 4:39
Thanks for the videos, I think they really bring the viewer right to the trail and give a great feel for the speed skill these riders exhibit. If only it were possible to use a live camera feed on a few riders to supplement pro race coverage, would really spice it up IMO.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts