Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I was there as I live 15 minutes from there. Super cool to see such high caliber riders there. This was an HC event, and drew riders from all over the world. If you live in So-Cal, you really owe it to yourself to see a Race at Bonelli. It is a great venue and I will be back.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kabush was sitting on Plaxton's rear wheel in 3rd and then on the second to last lap, he just blew past Plaxton and Fontana and pulled out a huge lead. Likely Plaxton and Fontana had been redlined since they drifted back quite quickly after that.
I haven't finished watching the Men's race, but I had it going in the background while I cooked dinner last night.

Geoff went from like 6th or 7th to first? What happened there? Did Marco blow up?

·
Wrench
769 Posts
Just finished it. Kabush did a fantastic job at pacing that race.

Can't wait for next weekend's showing!
Kabush was sitting on Plaxton's rear wheel in 3rd and then on the second to last lap, he just blew past Plaxton and Fontana and pulled out a huge lead. Likely Plaxton and Fontana had been redlined since they drifted back quite quickly after that.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Too bad The Commentator is ruining it. I wish i had a dollar for every time he said something about somebody being on a cannondale bike. Then he mentioned yet again the "regional" and "hometown" heros getting to mix it up with the big boys......

He mentioned Ryan Woodall coming from florida and how the climbs were probablly getting him cause hes from florida....guess hes never been here on a mountain bike and the fact that Ryan is a professional racer.

I love we have a live feed...not complaining about that. Just need a better annoucer

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All the prominent product plugs are not a big surprise since the Sho-Air team is on Cannondale and Sho-Air is the series and the live stream sponsor. I think the words Sho-Air and Cannondale were used in equal measure with Luna Chix and Scott/3 Rox, largely due to the efforts of all the racers on those two teams.

Colt does tend to ramble a bit, not quite as bad as Rob Warner on the World Cup streams.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I think Rob Warner is great! His self-deprecating aging ex-pro shtick works so well when he's paired with Bart or Frishknecht. Other than saying "guys" all the time, I think Colt's biggest problem is that the footage is so freaking boring while he's so excitedly talking. It just seems disjointed sometimes. This week's coverage of the US race was much-improved but it's still basically amateur hour. I probably shouldn't complain about our obscure sport being broadcast for free though, and I'll tune in for sure. Can't wait for the World Cups!

All the prominent product plugs are not a big surprise since the Sho-Air team is on Cannondale and Sho-Air is the series and the live stream sponsor. I think the words Sho-Air and Cannondale were used in equal measure with Luna Chix and Scott/3 Rox, largely due to the efforts of all the racers on those two teams.

Colt does tend to ramble a bit, not quite as bad as Rob Warner on the World Cup streams.

·
Wrench
769 Posts
I had a friend racing on Saturday. He said the climbing was intense, and that the video coverage didn't show the course for what it was. His GPS had him climbing around 3,600 feet in 19 miles.

That's some pretty serious climbing. Ryan Woodall is an awesome rider, but are the trails where he trains in Florida that demanding with the climbing?

Too bad The Commentator is ruining it. I wish i had a dollar for every time he said something about somebody being on a cannondale bike. Then he mentioned yet again the "regional" and "hometown" heros getting to mix it up with the big boys......

He mentioned Ryan Woodall coming from florida and how the climbs were probablly getting him cause hes from florida....guess hes never been here on a mountain bike and the fact that Ryan is a professional racer.

I love we have a live feed...not complaining about that. Just need a better annoucer

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Not long demanding mtb climbs. I cant speak for him regarding his training but he does alot of road work. We have some very techy climbs here. But cant say they are anything near what is out west. The ones here at santos are short and very steep. I know san felasco has some climbs.

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
It was hot as heck during the mens pro race at 1:30p and there is not much shade on the course. It was in the 90s for sure. Very dry and dusty too. I am glad I raced in the morning. I stuck around to watch the pro women and men. The course was shortened for the pros down to about a 3 mile loop. Cat 1's did a 5 mile loop. It did make it more spectator friendly to have such a short loop, but unfortunately for the pros, the back section they cut out is where you can recover just a bit.

Kabush raced smart! He clearly had a plan and stuck to it. Fontana and Fumic were maniacs for the first couple of laps....full bore.

Also, big thanks to Tedro/Sho Air for creating such a great am/pro series for us all to take part in out here! You should have seen the juniors Cat 1 field. It was huge! So great to see kids tearing it up on the mtbs in big numbers again.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The biggest benefit of this series is the UCI points for the North American pros that also race World Cup, being able to build up some UCI points before the World Cup starts makes a big difference in start positions in the first race. Definite tip of the hat to Sho-Air for recognizing the importance of being able to gain UCI points without travelling internationally.

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
The biggest benefit of this series is the UCI points for the North American pros that also race World Cup, being able to build up some UCI points before the World Cup starts makes a big difference in start positions in the first race. Definite tip of the hat to Sho-Air for recognizing the importance of being able to gain UCI points without travelling internationally.
^^agreed! On Saturday, the guys in the back easily had a 30 second deficit built in before the gun even went off. Also starting in the back and actually winning the race means that you would have had to actually say "on your left/right!" about 100 times...haha.

So yeh, start positions are key in a field that large. No doubt.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.