Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Not really sure what you're surprised about, this is the same week that they have tried to start every year, most of the time being successful save for a rainy spring a couple of years. ago. That's four weeks away, so chances are still reasonable that snow will have departed us by then. Time and weather will tell, so start crossing fingers and toes!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not really sure what you're surprised about, this is the same week that they have tried to start every year... ...That's four weeks away, so chances are still reasonable that snow will have departed us by then...
Neil, believe me there's nothing I'd love more than for you to be right about this. However, looking at the long range forecast and temps firmly stuck below 10° (and much lower overnight), I'm not as optimistic, given the amount of snow that fell this winter.
I thought last year we started on May 7th?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I remain optimistic as these plus temperatures are a balmy comparison to the temps three weeks ago. Agreed, there's lots of white stuff to melt in there, but there's still time. You may be correct that it was May 7th last year, but in the past ten years, I think it's only been a week later twice due to weather, one of which was moisture, not the presence of snow. Let's hope that you're proven wrong on this one mate even though it looks a little sketchy now!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not talking presence of snow. That should be gone - or mostly gone - by the end of the month.. It's the resulting moisture part that I'm worried about. And that doesn't even take into account possibility of rainy weather...
Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Started on April 30th last year from my electronic list of GPS data.

Regardless, I remain optimistic that we'll be able to mountain bike/race by late April. If the Albion series is a no go, Woodnewton the following Sunday won't be much better.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Thinking about riding Albion right now sure has me smiling, hopefully it's not just a dream - agreed with the precipitation and temps this year I fear the wait could be lengthy. Sure hope I'm wrong!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would guess that the north side is our only hope as it drains better and the sun can get through the pines better. The Chalet side will end up looking like a laundry soap commercial.

·
Lemmy Rules!
1,772 Posts
I would guess that the north side is our only hope as it drains better and the sun can get through the pines better. The Chalet side will end up looking like a laundry soap commercial.
I will be there on April 29th with a gigantic target on my back after my upset result at the Frostbike...

·
Registered
157 Posts
I will be there on April 29th with a gigantic target on my back after my upset result at the Frostbike...
April 29th for TNRS? WTF? Why isn't the series starting next week? I just rode Albion all day yesterday on my winter steed with super wide tires and left permanent marks to prove it (the ground was so soft that after a few days of sunshine my ride will be preserved for years to come; PHATBIKE4LIFE).

So much for the hardcore racing experience I crave on my one weeknight that my wife lets me have to myself. If this trend keeps up, all that will be left to do is ride, have fun, and socialize with friends (which is likely a non-option since developing a cut-throat rivalry with everyone in my starting wave).

Someone please fix this or consider me OUT for this year.

Ryan

PS: If the above is addressed (unlikely), please also address the timing/consistency/accuracy (2014 was shameful), plus add the following new categories:

A) 35-29 on 2009 equipment [3x9, 2-generation old XTR/SRAM hardtails ONLY!]
B) 40-44 with dual income families on the LATEST bikes but with 3+ kids, C) 50+ "off the wagoners" with borderline personality disorder(s), and D) Open age category for racers on multiple clubs/teams (bonus points every week if neither club/team are aware of this fact).

PPS: Please have a corn roast and/or demo night EVERY WEEK, and replace the sample size Cliff bars with full size vegan/paleo-friendly options; some of us want to have an Earth to ride upon in the future.

·
sock puppet
8,104 Posts
April 29th for TNRS? WTF? Why isn't the series starting next week? I just rode Albion all day yesterday on my winter steed with super wide tires and left permanent marks to prove it (the ground was so soft that after a few days of sunshine my ride will be preserved for years to come; PHATBIKE4LIFE).

So much for the hardcore racing experience I crave on my one weeknight that my wife lets me have to myself. If this trend keeps up, all that will be left to do is ride, have fun, and socialize with friends (which is likely a non-option since developing a cut-throat rivalry with everyone in my starting wave).

Someone please fix this or consider me OUT for this year.

Ryan

PS: If the above is addressed (unlikely), please also address the timing/consistency/accuracy (2014 was shameful), plus add the following new categories:

A) 35-29 on 2009 equipment [3x9, 2-generation old XTR/SRAM hardtails ONLY!]
B) 40-44 with dual income families on the LATEST bikes but with 3+ kids, C) 50+ "off the wagoners" with borderline personality disorder(s), and D) Open age category for racers on multiple clubs/teams (bonus points every week if neither club/team are aware of this fact).

PPS: Please have a corn roast and/or demo night EVERY WEEK, and replace the sample size Cliff bars with full size vegan/paleo-friendly options; some of us want to have an Earth to ride upon in the future.
you want an Earth to ride upon in the future? so cliche... i'd rather ride upon... Ginger or Jennifer, but that's just me... i must suggest that your tone and language is not appreciated around here... any more. this forum is about brotherhood and occasionally sisterhood too. i love your age categories, but B) would exclude mtbmeister and he would have to race against real racers, and you know he doesn't like it that much hence he is sleeping on or with his bike this winter/spring. according to me counting his Strava kilometres, he must be on his third set of tires since the Christmas. gotta be at least 10,000 kms. he will be pure evil on Tuesday. i'll go with that 50+ slightly disoriented bunch. i could talk more, but have just detected some movement inside. must go... later dude...

don't disappear on me now... i like you...

·
Team NFI
5,303 Posts
you want an Earth to ride upon in the future? so cliche... i'd rather ride upon... Ginger or Jennifer, but that's just me... i must suggest that your tone and language is not appreciated around here... any more. this forum is about brotherhood and occasionally sisterhood too. i love your age categories, but B) would exclude mtbmeister and he would have to race against real racers, and you know he doesn't like it that much hence he is sleeping on or with his bike this winter/spring. according to me counting his Strava kilometres, he must be on his third set of tires since the Christmas. gotta be at least 10,000 kms. he will be pure evil on Tuesday. i'll go with that 50+ slightly disoriented bunch. i could talk more, but have just detected some movement inside. must go... later dude...

don't disappear on me now... i like you...
Must be Spring...Bromance is in the air.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
but B) would exclude mtbmeister and he would have to race against real racers, and you know he doesn't like it that much hence he is sleeping on or with his bike this winter/spring. according to me counting his Strava kilometres, he must be on his third set of tires since the Christmas. gotta be at least 10,000 kms. he will be pure evil on Tuesday.
Oh know! Just what I need, some other guy pumping up my mileage. I know not of what he speaks or is suggesting about all this riding and three sets of tires. What I do know is that I would fit perfectly into the B) category save for riding a bike that's a couple of years old now.

The start date looks totally within reason now with all the warmer and windy weather the past couple of weeks. Save for this morning where there's some folks that have their underwear in a know due to a little April dusting of snow. It's Canada folks, it will be melted in another day or two. So we need fret about it. Dirt riding is days away now assuming the frost disappears from the ground!

·
sock puppet
8,104 Posts
Oh know! Just what I need, some other guy pumping up my mileage. I know not of what he speaks or is suggesting about all this riding and three sets of tires. What I do know is that I would fit perfectly into the B) category save for riding a bike that's a couple of years old now.

The start date looks totally within reason now with all the warmer and windy weather the past couple of weeks. Save for this morning where there's some folks that have their underwear in a know due to a little April dusting of snow. It's Canada folks, it will be melted in another day or two. So we need fret about it. Dirt riding is days away now assuming the frost disappears from the ground!
Oh know. Some guy? SOME GUY? I am "some guy" now? Oh know I wish I was banned forever so that I don't have to read these hurtful statements.

Endura, can I get my massage now please.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's Canada folks, it will be melted in another day or two. So we need fret about it. Dirt riding is days away now assuming the frost disappears from the ground!
You made my day, Neil! Nothing like some humor on a long, cold Tuesday!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts