Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a new bike. Any thoughts or comments on the new x-caliber 8? It retails for $1050 and my lbs will sell it to me for $879. Could I work them down to $849? Am I getting a good deal or should I wait? I have also been looking at the more expensive spec. rockhopper comp 29er or even more spec. crave 29er. I want a good brand name not some online brands. Thanks. Brand new to this website.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
46 views and no answers??? Is the lesser head tube angle better than the slightly higher on the spec. I am not a racer just a biker for around town and challenging trails

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm at the same point Rode a X-Caliber 8 and thought it was a good bike but have also looked at a 2012 Giant XTC 1 and a Cube ltd pro 29er as well leaning towards the giant but really need to ride them back to back to be sure.

·
Registered
973 Posts
46 views and no answers??? Is the lesser head tube angle better than the slightly higher on the spec. I am not a racer just a biker for around town and challenging trails
you have not provided enough info to allow an accurate recommendation...I will just say that this is a very basic entry level bike that would no doubt work okay "around town..." but "challenging trails..." are going to be just that...challenging

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What info do I need to provide? I ride an 04' trek fuel 70, which has done me good for 10 years. I don't think the xcal8 is an entry level bike but I could be wrong. Anything new is gonna be way better than a bike that is 10 years old. I really want a rockhopper or crave but they are way more money than the deal I am getting on the xcal8. Plus it has better specs than the spec rockhopper

·
Registered
973 Posts
you are right...sorry, I was thinking you were looking at a X7...the X8 is a better spec for sure. If it fits, you have had some saddle time with it, you are comfortable with the LBS, and it is in your budget...buy it. There are alot of other bikes out there to consider though, especially on-line close-out '13 models. There are alot of benefits buying from your LBS. That decision should be influenced by your level of comfort doing basic maintenance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do have a chance to buy a '13 cobia for $989 at my lbs. I would rather buy a '14. The lbs I talked bout is who I bought my first trek from.

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,425 Posts
I do have a chance to buy a '13 cobia for $989 at my lbs. I would rather buy a '14. The lbs I talked bout is who I bought my first trek from.
I have a 2013 Cobia, and the stock componentry is bad.
I bought my 2013 Cobia in December 2012 for $960. That is the only reason I bought it over bikes like the Scott Scale.
The 2014 X-Cal 8 has much better components so I would recommend that instead of a Cobia.

·
Registered
14,063 Posts
That is a good price on a decent bike. The geo is better for faster downhill riding than the steeper ht angles on the Spec and Giants.
Trek fest starts tomorrow or next weekend depending on your dealer. You can get deals that are similar on other models, but to do better you will have to spend more. Spend as much as for a Crave on a discounted Trek and you will be way ahead. Superfly has a tapered head tube for future upgrades of the fork. It also has new even better geo.
You keep a bike 10 years.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great advice thanks. I will ask about the trek program and see what they say. I don't do fast downhill stuff anymore. Just easy single track and dirt trails but mostly biking around town grabbing beers

·
Registered
14,063 Posts
You might as well take each for a long ride around town and see which you like better. An hour each might help.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Have the X-Cal 8. Love it. Spent quite a bit more than 879 on it too, but no regrets here. I rode the rockhopper too, but loved the Trek.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been on a '14 XCal 8 for a couple months, the last 1.5 tubeless and love it. I find it climbs very well, shifts quickly and clean - no complaints from me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you. I have started thinking about upgrading and spending a little bit more but financing the rest. How about a '14 superfly 5?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just got back from test riding the xcal8. Man what a bike. It was a very nice ride. Got up to speed fast and handled good. Also had a chance to test ride a '13 Stache 7. $1,375 and no tax just did not have time

·
Registered
16 Posts
I ride a 2014 X-Cal 8 and love it. I just got back into riding after several years away and the bike is solid. I plan on upgrading a few bits, going to 2x10 eventually and getting some lighter/stiffer wheels but overall I think it is a great deal for the money. Carries more of the spirit of the "old" Gary Fisher line than a Trek, which makes sense, as the model name is a carry over...

·
MTBer
20 Posts
If I were you I would save some money and buy a used FS bike. It is well worth it. I was in the same boat at once. I bought an Airborne Goblin and didn't enjoy it as much as the Trek Rumblefish elite I bought later. I would suggest looking at airborne bikes they have good bikes and better components for the money.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If I were you I would save some money and buy a used FS bike. It is well worth it. I was in the same boat at once. I bought an Airborne Goblin and didn't enjoy it as much as the Trek Rumblefish elite I bought later. I would suggest looking at airborne bikes they have good bikes and better components for the money.
boooooo. JK. Kinda. HT FTW

1 - 20 of 30 Posts