Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a new FS bike for the past several months and I think I have it narrowed down to a 2014 Superfly FS 9.8sl or a Scalpel 29 Carbon 2. I have ridden both and don't have any complaints with either bike. Both have full XT components. I can get them for the same price also.

The one thing that is making me nervous about the Cannondale is the fact that it doesn't have a pivot where the seatstays and chainstays come together at the rear axle (the Trek does). I've heard a few things about bikes like this having issues with cracking in this area. Should I even worry about this?

Is there anything else I should take into consideration? I know Trek has a lifetime warranty on their carbon frames vs Cannondale's 5 years. I also understand the differences that come with a lefty fork.

Both of these bikes have been absolutely awesome and I'm really struggling to make a decision. Any input you guys have would be much appreciated. If you guys have any other recommendations for similar bikes from other manufacturers, I'm all ears.

Thanks,
Brad

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Right off the bat, the Lefty is a performance upgrade over anything in it's class.

We have a Reputable Cannondale dealer here which has sold many Scalpels with no reported issues with the rear triangle.

I personally don't care for G2 geometry but Trek makes a fine bike with many Avid followers. Cannondale's just fit me better.

Now the funny part.....My brother and I are avid mtnbikers, he's on a Trek SF and I ride a Scalpel 1. lol Get the one that feels the best :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right off the bat, the Lefty is a performance upgrade over anything in it's class.

We have a Reputable Cannondale dealer here which has sold many Scalpels with no reported issues with the rear triangle.

I personally don't care for G2 geometry but Trek makes a fine bike with many Avid followers. Cannondale's just fit me better.

Now the funny part.....My brother and I are avid mtnbikers, he's on a Trek SF and I ride a Scalpel 1. lol Get the one that feels the best :)
Bird, thanks for the response. I'm actually leaning towards the Cannondale now. Both the Superfly and the Scalpel were incredible when I rode them, but there was just something extra about the Cannondale that I like.

Although I do like the Cannondale, I don't plan on racing. Do you think I would be better off with a more trail oriented bike like a Pivot Mach 429 Carbon instead? The trails I ride are tight, twisty singletrack with lots of small bumps/rocks/roots. I'm on a 26er aluminum hardtail right now and I'm having a blast, but I do get bumped around quite a bit, that's why I want a FS bike. Even though the Scalpel is a pretty race oriented bike, I have a feeling that even that will be much more comfortable than what I'm on now. What do you think?

Thanks again,
Brad

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have a Pivot 429C, and it makes an awesome trail bike, and a good race bike. It's a bit heavier than either of those frames, but it makes up for it in stiffness. All are great bikes. If all fit equally, I'd probably choose the Cannondale for racing or the Pivot for general 'do-it-all' bike.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Rode a SF at a ling demo and liked it, couldn't find a Scalpe to demo in my size (190cm), friend let me take a long test ride on his Orbea Occam 29 and I bought the Orbea. Lifetime warranty, ideal all around geometry, active pivot similat to Trek, therfore reduced suspension bobbing. I have really stoped looking at other bikes. By the way, you will find Trek has a limited warranty on the swingarm parts, and if i remember corectly, it varies with the model you choose. Happy riding.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have a Scalpel and its absolutely amazing< but I think you're looking for something more like the Ibis Ripley. My Dad ended up with one and its an incredible trail bike

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Although I do like the Cannondale, I don't plan on racing. Do you think I would be better off with a more trail oriented bike like a Pivot Mach 429 Carbon instead? The trails I ride are tight, twisty singletrack with lots of small bumps/rocks/roots. I'm on a 26er aluminum hardtail right now and I'm having a blast, but I do get bumped around quite a bit, that's why I want a FS bike. Even though the Scalpel is a pretty race oriented bike, I have a feeling that even that will be much more comfortable than what I'm on now. What do you think?

Thanks again,
Brad[/QUOTE]

Compared to a 26" Aluminum hardtail The Scalpel will feel like a DH bike.

I don't race but my riding consists of Long XC trails with lots of climbing and twisty single track. I wanted something light that matched my style of riding and The Scalpel was perfect. It's fast, stiff and sharp handling :)

For really Technical big rock strewn trails.....there are better choices.
What you described, sounds like Scalpel territory. lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the responses, you guys are awesome!

I'm really leaning towards the Cannondale now. I have heard nothing but glowing reviews for the 429C, but there aren't any dealers near me that sell Pivot, and I'm not sure I feel like driving 5+ hours to the closest shop just to take a bike for a spin in a parking lot :/. Even then, a 429C with similar components to the Scalpel is over $5k I believe, which is beyond my budget. I might be able to justify the extra expense if it really is worth it. For you 429C owners out there, is this really a bike worth checking out before I make a decision? I just want to get the absolute best bike for the money and intended use.

Last question. I can get the Scalpel 2 for $4800+ tax. Does that sound like a reasonable price?

Thanks,
Brad

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
The trails I ride are tight, twisty singletrack with lots of small bumps/rocks/roots.

I'm on a 26er aluminum hardtail right now and I'm having a blast, but I do get bumped around quite a bit, that's why I want a FS bike.
Even though the Scalpel is a pretty race oriented bike, I have a feeling that even that will be much more comfortable than what I'm on now. What do you think?
I ride the same type of terrain. I reading you as not looking to get a bike for faster downhills with bigger drops, jumps and bumps than you can handle on your bike.
You want to ride without getting beat up and for longer rides.
There are lighter and cheaper options to greatly improve your riding without going fs.
Carbon and titanium hardtails will dampen the rear without losing the trail feel that is gone with a fs. They are lighter and easier to maintain creek-free.
Your budget would get you a 21-22lb very fun ride.
The Trek Superfly 9.8(or 9.6 with upgrades), Pivot Les and Titus Fireline Evo(frame) will give you the best without over biking and taking the fun out of your trails.
Bike Test: Pivot LES 29 Singlespeed review | Mountain Bike Review
I'm going with the SF 9.8 with Wide Lightning wheels.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ride the same type of terrain. I reading you as not looking to get a bike for faster downhills with bigger drops, jumps and bumps than you can handle on your bike.
You want to ride without getting beat up and for longer rides.
There are lighter and cheaper options to greatly improve your riding without going fs.
Carbon and titanium hardtails will dampen the rear without losing the trail feel that is gone with a fs. They are lighter and easier to maintain creek-free.
Your budget would get you a 21-22lb very fun ride.
The Trek Superfly 9.8(or 9.6 with upgrades), Pivot Les and Titus Fireline Evo(frame) will give you the best without over biking and taking the fun out of your trails.
Bike Test: Pivot LES 29 Singlespeed review | Mountain Bike Review
I'm going with the SF 9.8 with Wide Lightning wheels.
You are exactly right with what I'm looking for. I wish I could try out more high end carbon HT's, but the two LBS's in town have a pretty limited selection unfortunately. If a hardtail would really soak up the vibrations and bumps as I hope it would, then I definitely would get one. Its just hard for me to justify spending money on a bike (even though it is way less $ than the Scalpel) that I haven't had a chance to ride, or even see in person. The full suspension bikes that I have ridden have been so much better than what I'm on now so I just kind of jumped right to wanting a FS.

I was really considering the 2014 Superfly HT because I heard good things about the vertical compliance built into the frame, but the LBS here that carries Trek doesn't have any Superfly HT's in stock so I haven't been able to see for myself how they feel. Is the SF the most compliant carbon HT out there right now? How do bikes like the Pivot LES 29 and Specialized Stumpjumper HT compare in this regard?

Thanks again,
Brad

1 - 10 of 10 Posts