Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All stock with no reflectors or pedals = 23lbs 6oz w/rapala digital scale

American Classic wheelset w/crest rims and Selle Italia SLR XC saddle and no pedals = 21lbs even

·
Registered
14,040 Posts
You are getting that down. Mine will have the same SLR saddle at 135g, but ArchEx rims laced to DT rear and ZTR front for now. We'll see later this week what it weighs.

·
Registered
14,040 Posts
Bontrager 29-1x2.0 tires, Ashima air rotors, my SLR saddle says 170g on it
My saddle has ti rails. I'm setting it up for more of a trail bike with the excellent XR-1 2.2 Team tires I demoed it with.
I will get around to building the wider LB 35mm rims with DT hubs and Sapim Laser spokes.
My bike is 18.5 for my almost 5'11"/32 inseam dims.

Looks like the Wide Lightning wheels will be on mine now.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Any of you drop the front derailleur yet? Went with RF 30t NW and have been happy. Works for the trails I ride. Have Conti X-king 2.2 tires. Have ridden Bont XR1s in the past. Toss up which I like better. Looking at getting the XXX wheel set.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any of you drop the front derailleur yet? Went with RF 30t NW and have been happy. Works for the trails I ride. Have Conti X-king 2.2 tires. Have ridden Bont XR1s in the past. Toss up which I like better. Looking at getting the XXX wheel set.
I put 32t Blackspire on, still using 2x. First race of the season had a challenging climb for my area. Not sure at this point if I need granny anywhere else. I ran 1x last year w/ 32t front and 11-32 casette.

What crankset are you using that you could put 30 on?

I flatted with Bonty 29-0 on rear and stan's did not seal it. Only good thing I have heard about "0's" is that they are light and low rolling resistance, everything else is how many they have gone thru/flatted with.

I am trying 29-1 in 2.2 in front (getting a bonty/trek deal) - gave it a backyard test and seemed to notice difference immediately

Teamates have XXX's, no complaints that I am aware of. I considered them, but a lot of $ for wheels even with a fat discount, nice and light though.

·
Registered
148 Posts
RF NW on stock XT cranks. Seems to work well. Dropped just under a pound getting rid of the FD/Shifter/Cable. Still not sure what to make of wheels. I think 350 hubs are ok though engagement does seem a little slow on quick technical climbs. Overall happy.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RF NW on stock XT cranks. Seems to work well. Dropped just under a pound getting rid of the FD/Shifter/Cable. Still not sure what to make of wheels. I think 350 hubs are ok though engagement does seem a little slow on quick technical climbs. Overall happy.
Did you have to modify crank/ space chainring to make 30 fit? Like in this Wolfstooth bulletin?
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/02...and_SLX_m665_Double_Compatibility_v4.pdf?1310

I had to file my crank to make 32t fit

Like the idea of dropping close to 1 pound...

I am an the process of putting some weight back on my bike - putting a Maxxis Ikon 2.2 on vs bonty 29-1 2.00

Big weight savings in wheels/tires/rotors

·
Registered
148 Posts
No the RF 30T is milled with a flange that the bolts fit into. Didn't need any mod at all. I live midwest and don't have a lot of long climbs so works perfect for me. May be a problem when I visit CO but we will see. Not quite the range of XX1 but has enough spacing for my gearing needs. Looks cool as well. Was going to get the green version but was out. Went with black from Jensons

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting. RF should advertise that, the other manufacturers say smallest you can install is 34t or you have to modify.

Can you send me a pic of ring? installed?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I want a 9.8 so bad. New XR0 is currently being used by TFR. I've had good success with the XR2 2.2 so far this season. Mine came in at 605g a piece. Scott you were on a 12' superfly AL before right? That's what I have, how is the ride difference?

Gallery: Cairns MTB World Cup cross-country pits - gallery Review - BikeRadar here's the tire. Some cool TFR tech in the gallery.
Yes, 2012 AL ELite. Ride difference huge, handles like 26" bike compared to AL, fork way better (used to think fox was good till i rode 9.8), but admittedly, i discovered the pump gauge i was using was reading 5psi low at the end of last CX season. I thought i was running 25/22psi, but in reality was running 29/27 with bonty team 29-1's. Now at 24/22.

FYI, I am under the impression that bonty may be discontinuing some non TLR tires (going only with TLR) - at least in my case when i wanted to purchase Team 29-1 in 2.2

Thanks for link

No offense, but ... a 29-0 with even less thread...good for one race?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
No offense, but ... a 29-0 with even less thread...good for one race?
I'm hoping that they beefed up the sidewalls so maybe it will be usable, the old XR0 you could almost push your nail through it. The XR2 I have is TLR, I'd love to run the XR1 but can't deal with the near 700g.

Thanks for the review of the bike. I'm starting my first "big boy" job soon and hoping I can convince the wife that I need one haha. Totally copied your white rims on the AL look though, so fast looking!

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Have any of you ever weighed your frame? Trek live chat assistant said the carbon frame in size 17,5 weighs 1.7kg!? I cannot imagine it is that heavy and cannot weigh my bike at the moment for calculation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts