Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm either going to get this bike.
http://forums.mtbr.com/trek/2014-trek-fuel-ex-9-29-x01-903158.html

Or the same bike with the 2x10 XT components.

I'm pretty sold on the 1x11 thing. My LBS doesn't have the XO in stock but was wondering if any of you know if it comes with the grip shifters or levers shifters. I know I can change it pretty easily but was hoping it comes with the levers.

Anyone out there know?

Also anyone have the X01 stuff? If so how do you like it, all the feedback I have seen is positive.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
You will need to ride an 11 speed and decide for yourself or Spock it out yourself with a gear ratio chart.

Short answer if you are on a 1x10 now, out of shape or in super hero shape, 11 speed is perfect for you. If you are on a 3x10 now and use all your gears, 11 speed will not be for you.

I love my xo1 but it does prevent my bike from being a quiver killer, I decided to cheat towards the easier gear ratios for 20+% climbs which means I can't do those high speed breakaways.

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Here's my 2c:

Look beyond the 2x10 and 1x11 and focus on the wheels. There's a upgrade in quality of wheelset on the XT equipped bike (Elite vs Comp on the SRAM bike).

I'm either going to wait until after Sea Otter, where it looks like Shimano will officially release a 1x11 groupo OR I'm going to get the XT equipped bike and put a Narrow/Wide ring on it and turn it into a 1x10 bike.

For price points I think the Sram bike is too much money for a bike with an inferior set of wheels.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
The wheels are pretty close actually. The XT bike comes with 2013 Elite Wheels, that have traditional J-bend spokes with 24 POE hubs and Duster TLR rims. The XO-1 bike has the 2014 Comp wheels that have the same rims, but have straight pull spokes and 24 POE hubs. Unless Trek makes a running change in the spec - that's what the bikes are specced with on their dealer site.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts