Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a basic MTB to ride with kids and get back into riding. I have narrowed it down to two bikes but still considering a Moto. Any thoughts or are they basicly the same bike with different stickers? Thanks.

1. Trek 3500 $440 at LBS (They have one clearance for $395 for some reason.

2. Giant Revel 2, $480 but I think their new "Gateway to Adventure" price makes it $400.

3. Motobecane 500HT, $400. I have heard great things for what you get but I have also heard you get what you pay for so I am not sure.

Any input would be very helpful.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Looking for a basic MTB to ride with kids and get back into riding. I have narrowed it down to two bikes but still considering a Moto. Any thoughts or are they basicly the same bike with different stickers? Thanks.

1. Trek 3500 $440 at LBS (They have one clearance for $395 for some reason.

2. Giant Revel 2, $480 but I think their new "Gateway to Adventure" price makes it $400.

3. Motobecane 500HT, $400. I have heard great things for what you get but I have also heard you get what you pay for so I am not sure.

Any input would be very helpful.
Pretty comparable components on the Trek and Giant ...

Trek looks like single wall rims, Giant double wall
Trek has 75mm travel Giant 100mm

I'd say not much of a difference to make a blind choice of one over the other.

Ride both and see which feels the best to you. I'd lean a little towards the Giant though.

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,603 Posts
3700 is a good bike, I have one. The wheels are cheap, but so are the ones on the Giant (judging by price).

·
Registered
572 Posts
Get the Giant. Its cheaper to upgrade shifters than it is wheels.

In my opinion; The plastic shifters on the Giant are crap. However, the single walled rims in the Trek are unacceptable for trail riding... and i work at a Trek dealer (for what its worth).

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I think there's a lot of value-added in buying from a shop. I like to be able to test-ride and have found that I can't nail my size from a geometry chart. After-sale service has never been very useful for me, but some people swear by it. It's also nice to be able to walk out with a fully assembled and functional bike. I don't imagine building up a BD bike would be that hard for me. It's not like they ship as a bare frame. But if you plan to pay someone else to do it for you, that's something to consider in looking at the price.

Any interest in mountain biking?

How do you feel about second hand?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think there's a lot of value-added in buying from a shop. I like to be able to test-ride and have found that I can't nail my size from a geometry chart. After-sale service has never been very useful for me, but some people swear by it. It's also nice to be able to walk out with a fully assembled and functional bike. I don't imagine building up a BD bike would be that hard for me. It's not like they ship as a bare frame. But if you plan to pay someone else to do it for you, that's something to consider in looking at the price.

Any interest in mountain biking?

How do you feel about second hand?
i love mountain biking but I have two young children that bike with me so it is just paved trails for now.

i went the second hand route last time and ended with with my 2003 Giant Sedona DX for $180 that was a bit big and I was never really happy with. This time I just want a bike that fits well, probably a 19.5 as 21" was just too big.

a small part of me would not mind putting together a BD as it would be fun and I would learn about the bike. But yes a assembled tunned bike out the door is probably the best way to go.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Do you still have the Sedona? I borrowed a Cypress for a couple weeks one summer. With the stem slammed and handle bars inverted, I actually got a reasonable riding position out of it.

I notice that hybrids and mountain bikes have different enough geometry that I wouldn't be confident in comparing sizes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you still have the Sedona? I borrowed a Cypress for a couple weeks one summer. With the stem slammed and handle bars inverted, I actually got a reasonable riding position out of it.

I notice that hybrids and mountain bikes have different enough geometry that I wouldn't be confident in comparing sizes.
Well went to the LBS to buy the Giant Revel 2 with no luck. They did not have even one bike in my size that was less than $700. And my two options Revel 2 for $400 or Revel 29 for $550 they could not get for 2 months. The guy also wAs insulting when he said they they don't sell the cheaper bikes as they are just for children. I will try one more LBS otherwise i will order online, get the bike I want when I want it, at a better price, with better service.

·
29ers Forever
3,603 Posts
Well went to the LBS to buy the Giant Revel 2 with no luck. They did not have even one bike in my size that was less than $700. And my two options Revel 2 for $400 or Revel 29 for $550 they could not get for 2 months. The guy also wAs insulting when he said they they don't sell the cheaper bikes as they are just for children. I will try one more LBS otherwise i will order online, get the bike I want when I want it, at a better price, with better service.
Wow that guy is rude. Most children get bikes that cost $150 or less. However, don't buy a bike from them, they clearly don't want to make the sale.

·
29ers Forever
3,603 Posts
I called another LBS and they seem more friendly with more stock, I will hopefully end up with a Revel 2 or Revel 29. Just not sure if the 29 is worth the extra $150.
The 29 is definitely worth the extra $150.

·
29ers Forever
3,603 Posts
Went to the LBS and they had a Felt Nine 80 to sell me for $550. Any thought of this vs the Giant Revel 29er for $550? I never heard of Felt.
Felt is a less popular company and is not nearly as large as the big name companies. The bikes are still OK, but the warranties probably are not as extensive or good as companies like Trek and Giant. The Felt Nine 80 actually has good specs for the prican and is better than the Revel 29.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.