Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Mtbr
I want to share the build of my new wet dream :) I've had a real hard time deciding which frame to purchase for my new all-mountain bike. I wanted carbon, 27.5, new-shcool geo with long-ish reach, low bb, short rear and a not to slack or steep headangle. I searched for a frame that would suit my taste for quite som time but I couldn't find one that I would want to pay for with my hard earned cash. I decided to go aluminium frame quickly chose the new Spitfire. I think it's going to match my riding style perfectly :thumbsup:

Opting for aluminium gave some room in my build budget to go crazy ... so this is where I'm at:

Frame Spitfire V2 27.5 Large Bright Blue
Headset CaneCreek Forty
Rear shock FOX Float X
Fork Rockshox Pike RCT3 DP
Stem Syntace Megaforce Ti 50mm
Handlebar Boobar Jerome Clemenz edt 750mm
Drivetrain SRAM XX1 Trigger
Brakes XTR M987 180mm discs
Wheels Enve 27.5 AM 32h
Seatpost RS Reverb
Saddle Specialized Phenom Pro

I have all the parts ready. I'm just waiting for the frame to be finished off and shipped to Denmark. I can't wait :)

Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Rim Bicycle part Bicycle accessory

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm looking forward to some more details of your spitfire build. Just a few weeks ago I finished my blue Spitfire V2 build so I'm quite interested.. especially at what weight you'll end up. Definitely not a low-budget build you're going for there ;-)

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Feel free to post a picture of your bike here mate. I'd like to see it!

I have a real hard time staying in control when I go shopping for parts. I guess things add up in the end ;)
I don't know what it's going to weigh. I'm hoping under 27 with pedals tho

·
Registered
61 Posts
just to chime in, im 6 foot 2 and a half/ 190 cm and an XL fits me perfectly. I've got long arms for my height though. I rode a Large rune and was far too cramped on it, although I note the top tube is .2 inches longer on a spitty for the equivalent size

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have been too busy riding to post my build until now. I picked it up about 4 weeks ago.

So far so good! This bike feels incredibly good at high speeds and even helped me to my best ever race result in a recent enduro (4th!).

Build is with CCDBA (non-cs version), 650b wheels/dropouts, Pike at 150mm, SLX brakes and derailleur, Zee shifter, Race Face Turbine cranks with 32t Narrow-Wide, MRP AMG guide, Chromag kit (bars, stem, seat, pedals), Minion DHF/High Roller II tire combo, KS LEV dropper.

It's a fairly heavy build at 32.25 lbs, but I ride hard and don't want to worry about parts failing on me again.

Brand New:
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame

2 Weeks in after the first enduro:
Motor vehicle Tire Automotive tire Mode of transport Vehicle

Last weekend near Mt. Rainier:
Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Wheel

·
Registered
52 Posts
Dropper and 800g+ tires are the real weight killers. Nice looking build though. Guessing you do a lot of downhill?
Yeah I ride everything and only have 1 bike right now, so it will need to handle some DH type trails, enduro racing, some jump lines, xc outings, and maybe even a little bikepacking.

And I can't stand flimsy tires. These tires are far more sturdy and grip way better than my old Dirty Dans, but I can definitely feel the extra weight and rolling resistance.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Question for spitfire owners. I'm looking to get into a spitfire and currently own a 2014 transition covert 650b. I'd like to just switch my build kit over but I can't get by the long chain stays with the 650b dropouts. 17.4" is a very long chain stay for a modern aggressive trail bike. Curious to know your thoughts on this and how it rides compared to other high end trail bikes out there. I love the feeling of short chain stays for manualling and railing corners so its the only thing about the bike that puts me off.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I went from a medium 2013 covert (26") and switched to a large 2014 spitfire (650b), so I can understand your worries about the long chainstays - especially since I like to play around a lot with jumps, manuals, etc.

However, the handling of a bike is much more than just chainstay length. Even then, a ~10mm increase in length over the entire 430mm lever arm only comes out to about 2.3% increase. Taking all other factors into consideration, how much will you notice it? I say not much - the different suspension makes a far more noticeable difference in my opinion. (I also went from a Fox Float CTDa to a CCDBa for the shock, which was a very welcome improvement).

I also really do like the design and construction of the Banshee more.....with the exception of how small in diameter the pivots are (8mm and 12mm). The transition has much larger pivots (10mm and 15mm), which is extra piece of mind (though I'm not sure it's necessary since the spitfire and rune use the same bearings, and the rune seems plenty sturdy :thumbsup:)

·
Registered
436 Posts
There are quite a few of us that run the Spitfire V2 with 650b wheels with 26" drop-outs. There is enough clearance for non-oversized 2.3" tires.

Question for spitfire owners. I'm looking to get into a spitfire and currently own a 2014 transition covert 650b. I'd like to just switch my build kit over but I can't get by the long chain stays with the 650b dropouts. 17.4" is a very long chain stay for a modern aggressive trail bike. Curious to know your thoughts on this and how it rides compared to other high end trail bikes out there. I love the feeling of short chain stays for manualling and railing corners so its the only thing about the bike that puts me off.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.