Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I had some money that was burning a hole in my pocket for the last few weeks, and I splurged and put a Specialized AWOL on order at the shop. Since i have a past in MTB racing, I have plenty of 2.2 MTB knobbies and 28c- 38c tires from my Trek Crossrip. I LOVE the fact that I can use all of these on the awol!! But that is where the problem lies.. If im going to be utilizing all of these tires, i need a set of fenders that is going to cover my big MTB tires and my skinny road and cyclocross tires. I was looking at the Planet Bike 29er Cascadia fenders, or their cheap commuter fenders. Any recommendations??:confused:
Thanks guys,
Chris

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
SKS Chromoplastics. Nice durable fenders with the breakaway mount. Since bikes like this will be off the beaten path, your likelihood for catching a stick in the fenders is higher, so get something with the breakaway mounting point!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, what size will work with a 2.2" tire?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok, what size will work with a 2.2" tire?
Did you decide on a set of fenders? I just got myself an AWOL and am also trying to decide on a set of fenders.

One note, while the AWOL can accommodate a 2.2" tire, I think the maximum tire size WITH fenders is much smaller. Not sure what the limit would be, maybe not much larger then the stock 42s.

I have been thinking about a set of SKS P50s or maybe the longboards. ONe thing I am note sure is if there is an issue with the wider fender if I put narrower tires on the bike. Maybe it would just be an aesthetic thing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you decide on a set of fenders? I just got myself an AWOL and am also trying to decide on a set of fenders.

One note, while the AWOL can accommodate a 2.2" tire, I think the maximum tire size WITH fenders is much smaller. Not sure what the limit would be, maybe not much larger then the stock 42s.

I have been thinking about a set of SKS P50s or maybe the longboards. ONe thing I am note sure is if there is an issue with the wider fender if I put narrower tires on the bike. Maybe it would just be an aesthetic thing.
Sorry on the late reply, but i actually didn't end up getting the Awol. I decided to cancel the order on my bike after the shop told me they wouldn't be able to get me it until the end of April, and knowing that i had to get shoulder surgery on the 24th of this month and wouldn't be able to ride for 6 weeks i cancelled sadly as i figured i could use the money for other things.. However with that said i did talk to someone from specialized and he recommended the sks p45s in either longboard or standard.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Man! The guy at my shop told me I should hold off on buying my secteur disc. He said he had a feeling spesh was about to come out with something that more fit my needs. I must say, that is a kickass bike. I have serious envy!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes it is! I think i might end up getting it when it becomes more popular and their is some help for it out there! i thought that the fact that you could put up to 2.2 inch tires on it down to like 35c was just friggin cool!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts