Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As stated I have a new enduro 29er. I have been noticing that when I finish some tough downhills and drops that the o-ring is always about 3/4 of and inch from the bottom of the shaft.

That didn't seem right so I let out all the air and compress the bike and low and behold the rear shock stopped at the same position where the o-ring was stopping.

Is that normal or should the shock completely compress to where the o-ring will come off the shaft?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have the same bike with the same situation with the rear shock and someone helpfully pointed out the the shock has a stroke limiter installed to prevent the rear wheel hitting the frame as the shock has more travel in it than is needed for this type of rear pivot design. If you measure how much the rear wheel actually moves from top to bottom of the travel you will see that it is 155mm which is as it's meant to be for this bike so what you are seeing is the normal operation for this bike.

This is actually very important for setting the proper sag. If you measure from the shock body to where it stops on the shaft you get about 55mm which means 11mm from the shock body down the shaft is actually 20% sag and 17mm is 30%.

·
Registered
107 Posts
That is great information especially the sag piece as I and probably many others set sag based on the entire shaft length.
I did the same thing myself and couldn't understand why I wasn't getting what I thought was full travel. Can't understand why Spcealizied don't point this out in the manual as it is a nesceserry peice of info when setting up the rear shock.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.