Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking into a new single speed frame and am considering the new Soma Juice Juice (29er) | SOMA Fabrications and wanted to get some feedback from others who have one of these built. I currently have a 2014 Kona Unit and am not really feeling the geometry as I prefer a lower bottom bracket height and although the Unit has a shorter chain stay length than the Juice which makes it a bit easier to loft the front wheel, I miss the in the bike feeling I had on my previous frames.

Does the Soma feel a bit long or cumbersome because of the longer than today's norm chain stay length or does the overall geometry negate that one measurement?

·
Registered
130 Posts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398014673.500489.jpg

I just put mine together 15.5" ; Reba SL; 1x10 w one up 42t granny; SLX shadow derailleur; XT shifter; Vuelta XC wheels; Maxxis Igniters; Truvativ offset carbon seat post; specialized saddle; 70mm Crank Bros stem; Carver Ti moustache bars; Spank grips.

I've only ridden around the neighbourhood yet and haven't been on the trails yet, but after coming off a Carver 420Ti, it definitely feels longer. I'll post a review when I have a good ride under it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you want a great steel 29er XC frame on a budget I think the Juice is the best choice.
I would follow this closely by the new Salsa El Mariachi, as I like what they've done with their geometry this year.

I have an older 2008 or so (red) Soma Juice. I would describe it as having a better quality ride than many of the other frames in it's price range in terms of compliance. The geometry has stayed the same since the re-design, and the tubes are the same, so I would imagine the ride isn't overly different. I'm 150lbs and really like the way the juice rides, but I could see where a heavier or very powerful rider would want a stiffer frame. Most companies (surly, salsa, etc) design a stiffer frame. If you weigh less, I think the juice will give you something closer to the feel of a custom bike without spending custom money. I wish mine had the sliding dropouts and larger head tube... I'm actually thinking of buying a 2014 for those features.

I'm running a Reba 100mm fork and a 1x10 drivetrain with the rear wheel tucked in all the way (445mm chain stay)

The geometry is classic XC 29er. Nothing new or surprising.
If I could change this frame I would give it slightly shorter chain stays and 1 degree slacker head-tube angle. It still lofts the front wheel easily enough and gets me through tight switchbacks no problem.

If I were spending a bit more I would look at a Spot Honey Badger.
If I were spending a lot more I would want an el mariachi TI

I hope this helps!

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
Picked up one of these frames a few weeks ago and built it up. I put a thread about it in the SS forum. Personally, I wouldn't change anything about the frame, it rides like a dream. I considered a Canfield N9, but honestly I was looking for an XC bike, not an AM or Trail Geometry. In fact, this is the slackest geometry bike I've owned. But it's great.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was considering this frame but now I'm looking into the N9 or the Jones again. If I decide on the N9 I will run it with a rigid fork which puts the head angle at about what your Soma Juice is 70.5 so it's not too slack plus with the added benefit of having considerably shorter chain stays (over an inch) as well as a shorter overall wheelbase.

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
I looked pretty hard at the N9, but availability became a factor for me. My old SS frame was broken, and had been for a couple months. I was tired of living without it and riding my FS geared bike all the time. While I'm still curious what sort of fun I could have had with the N9, I have no regrets about the Juice. It's a sweet ride.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts