Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.....I think I may have made up my mind :) I could technically order them from the Specialized website, but would much rather get some vendor advice from my forum peeps. Any suggestions? And just fyi - I'm looking at the $1,200 ones and NOT the $1,700 set.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
38 Posts
There is a huge thread in the wheels section and there is a Specialized rep who answers questions. They seem to get great reviews. I am also considering a pair.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For $1200 you got Control Carbon's not SL's but a great wheel just the same.
Correct. After speaking with the Customer Service guy who was awesome, I was sold. He outlined the warranty and how issues are handled. Basically a 5 year warranty from date of purchase and if you have any "accidents" that are deemed accidental (did I just repeat my self there?), then a rebuild for each wheel will run $290 - and this includes tax and shipping costs. I was close to doing the LB wheelset but am happy with the peace of mind I'm getting that comes with a 5 year warranty, from a U.S. based company.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Me too, that's why I have the same wheels...
Correct. After speaking with the Customer Service guy who was awesome, I was sold. He outlined the warranty and how issues are handled. Basically a 5 year warranty from date of purchase and if you have any "accidents" that are deemed accidental (did I just repeat my self there?), then a rebuild for each wheel will run $290 - and this includes tax and shipping costs. I was close to doing the LB wheelset but am happy with the peace of mind I'm getting that comes with a 5 year warranty, from a U.S. based company.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I love these wheels. They came on my new Epic but are a little different than the non OEM wheels in that they are 142+ spacing. They are light, stiff, and over-built a bit compared to the SL (according Specialized). I suspect you will be VERY happy with these. Be sure and post up some pix when you get them mounted!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
The 2014 Roval wheels were perfect, except for the fact that they were 10 speed only, and the customer wanted to run 11 speed SRAM Red22 HRD. Since the hubs use DT Swiss 240s hub internals, swapping out the cassette body and the end cap was a straight forward process. Using the new 11 speed freehub and the 11 speed end cap, it is a direct fit that doesn’t require any additional modifications.

·
Crash Dummy In Training
1,432 Posts
I must of misunderstood them when I talked to them last year.
When I asked what the Crash replacement charge was if I broke a rim they said $290 per rim but didn't say anything else about spokes hub's ect... or labor and shipping ?
And when I wanted to just buy the rim's only they quoted me $600 each Big "S" makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I must of misunderstood them when I talked to them last year.
When I asked what the Crash replacement charge was if I broke a rim they said $290 per rim but didn't say anything else about spokes hub's ect... or labor and shipping ?
And when I wanted to just buy the rim's only they quoted me $600 each Big "S" makes no sense to me.
That also kinda stumped me (get it?....stumped..."stump jumper"?). But I guess it's their way of encouraging customers to walk into a Specialized store. Because that's the only way to fix that wheel. And the $290 covers everything - bent spoke, cracked rim, faulty hub, etc...Really not bad at all. It's a pity my local Specialized bike shop is run my d-bags. Oh well....they could of had my money over the past couple of years. Now I only walk in there to take a piss ;)

·
Crash Dummy In Training
1,432 Posts
I think they charge a lot for rims only to encourage us to buy the whole wheel set with the DT Swiss hubs.
I have nothing against DT Swiss which makes quality products for sure.
But I have a new set of Chris King hubs I wanted to use that I got a killer deal on that I couldn't pass up for $399.00.
So I bought a set LB Bead Hook-less.
Would of loved a set of Roval or Enve Carbon with Chris King hubs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts