Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to most of this my last bike was a 2006 GT Ruckus Trail 2.0 and I think it's time for a new ride. I'm looking for something and bit more single track/road friendly but can take me (6'1 215lbs) hitting a few jumps now and then. I was looking online at the 2014 Rockhopper evo 29 and the crave comp 29. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
15,136 Posts
The Crave has better brakes and a better fork.
For that money I like the geo and rear compliance of the Superfly 5 or 6.
For a lot less the Marin Bobcat Trail 29 on ebay has a good air fork and drive components.

·
Registered
301 Posts
New to most of this my last bike was a 2006 GT Ruckus Trail 2.0 and I think it's time for a new ride. I'm looking for something and bit more single track/road friendly but can take me (6'1 215lbs) hitting a few jumps now and then. I was looking online at the 2014 Rockhopper evo 29 and the crave comp 29. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Out of those two I would go with the crave. Higher quality Aluminum frame, better components and fork. Less travel, but 100mm is fine for a hard tail. Whats your budget?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Never owned a 29er before I bought my 14 RH evo pro. I was deciding between it and the cannondale Sl2. I've got about 20 hours on the bike and have no complaints. Well not really a complaint but more of a preference, the front shock seems seems soft when set to my weight. I only weigh 155 and it seemed really soft. So I have it set for a 165lb rider. Think it's at 85-90 psi. Feels much better. I didn't want to spend more than $1500. I ended up paying $1495 out the door with some gloves, patch kit, and something else.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
You'll be fine on either bike. The specs on the RH is pretty decent. I'd probably switch out those X5 shifters for some X9 and go tubeless.

If you plan on jumping...the wheels on neither bike will hold up all that well.

You get a 120mm thru axle fork on the RH vs a 100 9mm QR on the Crave.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Through axle on a fork that's not as good doesn't make up for the fork. The gold recon is a much better fork. If there is any way for you to step up to the expert i'd recommend that. The Reba is a great fork and it's only 150 more (1650 in my lbs).
Either way either crave has shimano brakes vs crap tektro. Both crave models have a type 2 rear derailleur which will cut down on chain slap and keep your chain on. Lighter frame. The a1 aluminum on the rockhopper is the same as their low end bikes. Better cranks and more comfortable saddle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
I would actually look into the Trek Superfly.

Future proof frame. 142x12 rear and PF30 bottom bracket.

Depends on what the OP is really looking for. No sense in buying "more" bike than what he really needs.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Trek Superfly 6 seems like a good deal. I'm not sure the 142 rear axle does a whole lot for a hard tail, but it certainly can't hurt. PF30 vs GXP is also not a huge deal in my opinion... But valid points for "future proofing".

·
hipneck
108 Posts
1500 budget...

I was also looking at the Crave but then found a Salsa Mamasita at Big Kahuna Bikes for 1450 shipped. Im 6'2" and the large fits very well. Considering the retail MSRP is 2399, I just couldnt pass it up. Way more bike than the Crave.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.