Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping to close a deal in the next couple weeks on a rip 9. It seems a pike is the upgrade to do vs wheels. What offset should I ask for if I do the pike upgrade? It will be a 140mm fork on a size medium.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I had a fox 34 before my pike and enjoyed its 51mm offset, so I went with the 51 pike, too. Love it!

·
Banned
2,416 Posts
51 for me as well.. 140mm on a RIP9 RDO size medium. Had the bike for a couple months now with over 200 miles on it and I still get excited for each ride!

·
Registered
334 Posts
My understanding was that the Rip was designed around a 46mm offset. So a 140 pike with 46mm offset is what I have waiting in a box patiently for my Rip9RDO to arrive.

My understanding is that the minimal difference in the 51mm offset will steer a little quicker. I have no real world experience with a 51mm offset fork though, I just know the theory/geometry behind the design change.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is the offset of the revelation?

Anyone here see the latest update from rs? They have an update to the monarch that puts it closer to the qualities of the pike. You will also be able to have your monarch upgraded for $115.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My understanding was that the Rip was designed around a 46mm offset. So a 140 pike with 46mm offset is what I have waiting in a box patiently for my Rip9RDO to arrive.

My understanding is that the minimal difference is the 51mm offset will steer a little quicker. I have no real world experience with a 51mm offset fork though, I just know the theory/geometry behind the design change.
Wouldn't that get you a shorted wheelbase? If so a 46 offset should handle faster?

·
Registered
334 Posts

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
I have the 46 off set on my Rip9 RDO & the 51 off set on my Rip9 Alloy.

The truth is there isn't that much in it & you will be happy with what ever one you go for & not having the other to go back & forward to you will just get used to it & think it is the norm.

For me I like the 46mm a little more over the 51 & I get to ride them back to back every week.

My 2 c.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why do you prefer the 46? Would the 51 keep the top tube lower?

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
Why do you prefer the 46? Would the 51 keep the top tube lower?
On steep climbs when you are pushing really hard the 51 will wander more when pulling on the bars & the 46 just tends to stay more were you want it.

As for the top tube there is so little in it.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok. For a person that does as much climbing as decending a 46 makes for a better overall package

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
Ok. For a person that does as much climbing as decending a 46 makes for a better overall package
The Rip9 works very well as it is with a 46 IMO,

There are bikes out there that need all the help they can get to make them corner better, The Rip9 isn't one of them IMO.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I like your link better than mine.:thumbsup: He does a good job of relating what the numbers mean in a more clear and down to earth manner that helps us make a more informed decision one way or the other.

Coming from my Jet9, I am definitely looking to slow down the twitchy steering on climbs so I was never inclined to use the 51mm. I test rode a Rip9 with the 46mm offset and was very happy with the difference from my current ride. I know the geometry is different and perhaps the 51mm would work as well, but based on Muzz's post above I am feeling more confident that I made the best choice for me. If all goes as planned, I should be testing this on my new ride this Saturday!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So is the 130mm revelation that comes stock on many of the new rip 9's a 46 or 51 offset?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yeah the Monarch "DebonAir" looks like something to keep an eye out for. If they get anywhere close to the feel of the overwhelmingly popular Pike then they will have kicked Fox square in the junk once again.

I wish they could design these with a piggyback that can be rotated so it points up or moved so that frames like the Rip could fit a Monarch plus or DBair.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
On steep climbs when you are pushing really hard the 51 will wander more when pulling on the bars...
I have the 51 and I agree with this, though going with wider bars has made this less of an issue, not that it was a big deal to begin with. I do appreciate the lighter feeling of the steering on the descents, though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts