Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd share this build I've been working on now that I've got the main part (the IGH) done and working. I picked up a 2014 Redline Monocog new from Ebay in May and shortly after decided I wanted to try an IGH with it. I just recently did a week long road tour out of Seattle on this heavy beast so I have a 38t chainring and 20t rear cog. By my googling, that puts me just over the recommended ratio at 1.9, but I wanted to maximize my range for the roads. Bike did awesome on the couple single tracks I did before I loaded it up for the 275-mile trip through Washington's hills, which it handled like a champ.

A couple questions for anyone reading though as I am now converting my bike back to the single track machine it's meant to be:
1. I found I don't use gears 4/5-8 on the trail, does anyone have a suggestion for a better chainring/cog setup (preferably only replacing one of the current installed cogs)?
2. Any suggestions on a front suspension fork for ~$300? I'm having trouble finding something that's 1 1/8th with dropouts and 29".

I will update with a parts list later for the touring set-up if anyone is interested.

FullSizeRender.jpg IMG-1932.jpg IMG-1779.jpg

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had the exact same setup although my gearing was 32 x 21. For a fork an old rock shox was about right for the bike but over time I went back to the rigid because I can run a 3" tire in front. My current evolution of this bike is a Salsa El Mariachi, Alfine 8 with 30 x 18 for commuting and 30 x 23 for bikepacking. I know I am way beyond the recommended ratio but after thousands of hard miles I have not had any issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did end up throwing a front suspension on it. Found a good closeout deal on a Manitou Marvel. It was a sweet ride, the Manitou might actually weigh less than the steel fork. Now the monocog is back to rigid with street tires and is my city commuter, working on a Charge Cooker now. If I hadn't already purchased it last year I would go for the new honzo st frame though...

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts