Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, both cranks seem pretty nice.

The SRAMs can be had for less and can be made direct mount just like the RFs.

There are a few SRAM carbons that have pedal inserts separate but possibly under extreme conditions like DH use. The RF have not been out long enough to determine durability.

Weight difference?
Price Difference?

The RFs are sweet though....

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
By the time you discard the stock boat-anchor spider and chainring off the SRAMs and buy a wolftooth DRM ring, you're at nearly the price of the RaceFaces.

I have both- just installed the raceface, haven't ridden yet. They are insanely light. It takes about 10 seconds to change chainrings. And they are future-proof with the cinch system.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Got my Race Face cranks recently, not installed yet, but as mentioned above, insanely light, the Cinch system allows for all types of chain configurations. Can be had much cheaper if you find some decent discount codes for on-line retailers. Just remember to factor in a new BB as well to allow for the 30mm spindle.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Oh yeah, on that note. I have an e13 DH BB which is also the 30mm spindle diameter... raceface's chart indicated it would work, but I've hit some chainline issues. RF customer service has been helpful but it's not resolved yet (fine since I'm not riding due to injury). I have a feeling I'll end up with a RF BB

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Next SL 1x can be had with chainring for $386 delivered in US.

Not up to date on the XX1 pricing for crank arms, but rings can be had for a bit more than RF's direct mount.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
True about the versatility. But most folks these days are going 1x anyhow. So I personally don't need that feature. And they are sweet cranks. Did I mention that already?

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Hate to say this, and almost can't believe I'm saying it, but an XT785 with RaceFace ring makes more sense. I have all the fancy mancy carbon cranks from the SL 1x and S Works with 1x, XTR and XT....and can't tell a diff. Yep, it weighs more. Nope, haven't lost a race because of an extra bunch of crankset grams. When I lose it's by minutes and minutes which no $385 crankset would've helped anyway.

But I know when it comes to hobbies and piecing together dream bikes the likes of XT 785 doesn't make the cut for $120 new plus $35 ring (sell the XT rings to offset). Heck, it seems good cranks like X01 aren't either. But $150 vs $385....

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well said and I agree 100%! XT is thee best value out there. There's no performance difference except in the wallet. That said my Next SLs are on delivery:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Wasn't trying to be a downer. I have the Next SL 1x, too, and they are insanely light and well-built with great customer service.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wasn't trying to be a downer. I have the Next SL 1x, too, and they are insanely light and well-built with great customer service.
You were not a downer at all. Just truthful. That's what I wanted to hear especially since you have tried several cranks.

·
There's always next year.
872 Posts
The OP's already got his answer, but I LOVE my NEXTs. They're pricey, but I love how versatile they are. Since all my rides are 29ers, I like that I can run a 1x system lower than 30 if need be. I'm sure the cranks will last longer than the frame they're on now, I'm glad I'm pretty much covered on whatever BB standard I'll be running next.

What I'd personally love to see is RF move the Clinch system to their other crank lines. I'd pick up Turbines in a heart beat for my hardtail if I could switch out rings and spiders from crank to crank. Come on, RF! Take more of my money!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts