Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new to the forums and new to the biking world
i recently purchased some new bikes for me and my girl not only to help us lose weight but to get out and be active!!
i bought myself a 2014 giant trance 1 and got her the giant lust! Really cool bikes
ive been wanting to personalize my bike and so far gone tubeless and added 760mm bars but now I'm looking at stem (renthal duo 50mm duo stem) I'm confused though I've read I need a 1-1/4 stem and not the standard 1-1/8!!! Talked to my bike shop and they said a standard 1-1/8 will fit but I'm reading differently online, any in site?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah it needs to be 1 1/4 because the trance 1 comes with the overdrive 2 fork. I was looking online at headsets recently and it seems more manufactures were offering the od2 sizes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just because I herd it would be better to have a shorter stem on downhill which I love doing!! And I want to personalize it to make it my own :)
Should I not do this? I mean I new to the game don't wana mess anything up! Open to ideas!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Your bike... change as many parts as you like. I only make geometry changes once I am used to the bike and how it reacts to my input/riding style. A little surprised you changed the stem already since you stated you are new to riding.

That trance 1 is pretty well optioned out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I'll just leave it till I get better on it, so far I'm not riding any crazy trails out here in San Diego! Just otay lakes in Chula Vista! Mostly flat! Yeah I guess it's well speced, from what I read so far all I know is that it rides so much smoother than any other bike I've been on!

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Ok I'll just leave it till I get better on it, so far I'm not riding any crazy trails out here in San Diego! Just otay lakes in Chula Vista! Mostly flat! Yeah I guess it's well speced, from what I read so far all I know is that it rides so much smoother than any other bike I've been on!
I think the Trance 1 comes with a 730mm bar, and stem length depends on frame size, so once you get your saddle position, you may need a shorter or longer stem. The LBS you bought the bike from should have (or be able to order) Giant OD2 stems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is a 1-1/4 if you got riser bars you can tilt your bars back a little and get the about the same result as a slightly shorter stem.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
It is a 1-1/4 if you got riser bars you can tilt your bars back a little and get the about the same result as a slightly shorter stem.
When you rotate the bars the sweep angle changes so they may not be comfortable that way (I like my bars rotated forward), worth a try since it's free though.

From what I've seen the Chromag Ranger stem is ~$150, but the Giant AM 50mm stem is ~$80.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts