Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a G2 geo 2014 SID XX 100mm on my Stache 7, which dropped over 2lbs on the bike. I know that is against what the bike was designed around and not to mention a SID on top of that equation. But I was given a super deal and the option to test both the 2014 SID XX and Reba RL but the down side was they both were in 100mm. I went ahead and ordered the parts to convert either to 120mm and to RCT3.

So for the first ride, it was a quick 4mi loop over various up and down techy terrain. I was very impressed with how quick and responsive it handled. It was extremely supple over anything I rode on. I could definitely tell it was lighter up front and was extremely easy to pull the front end where I wanted. I never bottomed it out, and I hit some of the techy stuff very fast purposely to see how much flex it may or may not have and how it handled the rougher terrain.

I didn't notice any perceivable flex at all and it handled everything extremely well. I was very surprised after all the net chatter about SID's being flexy and how 100mm would effect ride characteristics. Now granted it was only one ride, but it was very promising and I will continue to assess the fork or forks.

It's Our Turn!
Team RWB Colorado Springs
www.TeamRWB.org

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
...all the net chatter about SID's being flexy...
I think you'll find that "net chatter" is about the much older 28mm stanchion SIDs. I haven't really heard anyone criticize the 32mm stanchion (2009+) SIDs for being flexy in either 100 or 120mm configs. They are a good fork.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I got another good ride under my belt and the SID continues to impress. I'm wondering if I should even try it at 120mm or with the RCT3 dampner. The Stache felt good stock but after swapping to the SID and throwing some carbon bars on, it is just so much better IMHO.

It's Our Turn!
Team RWB Colorado Springs
www.TeamRWB.org

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'm happy with my SID too. I'd say ride it as is until you need to do your first oil change. That'll give you time to decide if you really like the new setup for all conditions you may face. At that point, you'll be taking it apart anyway, so you could always add the 10mm shim in the 120 config and run it at 110 and split the difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.