Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine just picked up his Expert Carbon SJ 29er this afternoon. He came over to my place and we made some changes. First we converted it to a 1x10 set up with a WolfTooth front chainring. (Their stuff is awesome!) My buddy didn't like the dropper, so we put on a Thompson Masterpeice and a WTB saddle. We also converted the wheels to tubeless.

Right out of the box, with the dropper, the bike was 28.75 lbs. After the changes and tubeless set up, we got it down to 26.25lbs.

We went to the trail right after setting up the suspension and I have to say, this bike rocks. I ride a 24lbs Epic, and while you can definitely tell the weight difference, the comfort of the SJ is much better than the epic. Plus, the 5 plus inches of travel really eats up roots and rocks.

Gotta give Big S credit, the Stumpy is still an outstanding bike, even after all these years. My buddy is so stoked!

SM

get-attachment-4.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
I should have mine early this week. Very excited! Had a SJ FSR Elite deal done but that didnt work out but this was offered up in its place sooo.....and extra "pile O cash" and some soul searching (its way more bike than I need right now honestly) it is on its way. Not sure I am totally digging the paint on it compared to some of the other versions but it is an unbelievably well spec'd bike and I couldnt duplicate it for the $$ if I built or upgraded to its equal so I just took the plunge!

Leardriver

·
Registered
477 Posts
I still think the Stumpjumper is the best all-round bike Specialized offers, especially for a quiver of one.

However, I'd say the main difference between a SJ FSR and an Epic are not the weight or the travel, it is the geometry. Even if you get a trail bike's weight on par with an Epic, the Epic will still climb much better. Depending on the type of trail the advantage of the SJ's slacker head angle and additional travel may be significant, or not.

Does it come with a 32 or the 34 Fox fork?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I have the 2012 comp and freaking love the bike!! It just eats up anything you throw at it and just begs for more. I've yet to have ridden another squishy bike that compares.
. I know a lot of people hate on the big S but they make a bad ass bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
The 2014 bike comes with a Fox 34 Float Performance CTD 29. It has the FIT dampener which makes it tunable. The only thing that I dont like as much is the paint on the 2014 compared to every other year. It looks very much like my 07 Cannondale Rush. Hmmm...maybe some custom paint over the winter? Lol! I mean since I am "diving all in" here financially what the hell! Lol!

In all seriousness....it seems that this bike has gotten pretty much ignored compared to the EVO and the other versions. Maybe just falls into that price category where its just in an odd position within the line?

So I would love to here what you guys think about the Brain on the rear suspension for basic over all trail riding?

Leardriver

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yea in all honestly prob wont do anything but ride it. But who knows....maybe some vinyl detailing or some light accent airbrush. I dunno. Lol! We will see.....

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I have a 2012 Expert with a 150 Pike on it. Absolutely slays. I can't recommend a longer (and beefier) fork enough. I had a Fox 34/140 on it before the Pike, and that was also awesome. The stock 32mm Fox felt really flexy to me in techy descents.

I was on an Epic 29 for a couple of years and an Epic 26 before that. As soon as I rode the SJ, I never looked back. I beat the crap out of my Epic and rode it much more like a trail bike than the race bike it is, but it really is a race bike- geometry and all. The SJ is just much more of an all-around, tackle anything bike, but still climbs like a goat and is insanely efficient (especially with the brain). Love this bike.

IMG_8322.jpg

·
Registered
230 Posts
I was on an Epic 29 for a couple of years and an Epic 26 before that. As soon as I rode the SJ, I never looked back. I beat the crap out of my Epic and rode it much more like a trail bike than the race bike it is, but it really is a race bike- geometry and all. The SJ is just much more of an all-around, tackle anything bike, but still climbs like a goat and is insanely efficient (especially with the brain). Love this bike.

View attachment 910138
My full suspension bike of choice has been an Epic 29er for the last few years too.
I'm seriously thinking of selling my Epic World Cup and trying a Stumpjumper FSR also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts