Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Hi wonder if someone can help. I have a 2014 epic frame with pf30 installed. I also have a bb30 xx1 crank. I struggling to get the right spacers to make this a good fit. The ones that came with the crank are too wide.

Just looking for some advice etc from anyone that's done this already.

many thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
I recently built up a 2014 s-works epic frame with xx1. To use an xx1 crank the only spacer you should need is the wide black one that comes with the crank (this should go on the drive side). On the non drive side crank arm is a grey pre-load adjuster that you use to get rid of side to side play (you shouldn't need the wavy washer, clear shims, or small black spacers that are for a 68mm bottom bracket shell). Once you get the crank on the bike torque down the 10mm bolt to 48-52nm. Then softly tap on the driveside crank arm with a mallet to fully seat the crank. After that spin the grey pre-load adjuster to get rid of any gap that is there and tighten the 2mm bolt until the split in the pre-load adjuster is gone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi

Thanks for the reply

So I just went to try that and the problem could be that I was/am trying to use the dust seal bearing cover that was fitted to the original crank, the sworks one.

Can I ask which bearing covers you used? May be that they are thinner than the ones that came with the bike and allow a bit more space so I can get the drive side on without it just being too tight.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I experienced the same on my S-Works Epic WC 2014 installing an SRAM XX1 crank. I decided to use the bearing covers that come with an SRAM BB I had in my toolbox : too tight. I have used 'Enduro' bearing shields (orange colored), which are slimmer compared to those of SRAM. Fits perfect, only had to tighten the XX1 crank pre-load adjuster 1/4 turn.

Product Photograph Colorfulness Red Line

Text Circle Metal Material property Household hardware

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.