Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like a few on here, I've the latest 2014 Epic Expert WC bike running tubeless.

We all like to lighten our bikes so I embarked on finding out that if I changed my saddle to a Toupe Pro with carbon rails and bars to XC Carbon flat I'll save some weight, right?

Turned out I'll save just 178 grams at the expense of $$$ with vulnerable carbon parts to content with in crashes, than say my stock aluminium bars and cr-mo saddle rails.

Crikey!

I can lose a 1/2 pound in body weight whilst costing me nothing and I'm left wondering if the $$$ is really worth it (or just plain wasteful for 178 grams?)

·
Registered
964 Posts

We all like to lighten our bikes so I embarked on finding out that if I changed my saddle to a Toupe Pro with carbon rails and bars to XC Carbon flat I'll save some weight, right?

Turned out I'll save just 178 grams at the expense of $$$ with vulnerable carbon parts to content with in crashes, than say my stock aluminium bars and cr-mo saddle rails.

Crikey!

I can lose a 1/2 pound in body weight whilst costing me nothing and I'm left wondering if the $$$ is really worth it (or just plain wasteful for 178 grams?)
Is it worth it? No. Is the process of reducing weight fun? Yes.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I think there gets to be a point of diminishing return on weight savings. Your bike is already pretty light, the next few pounds will cost some serious $$$. Some folks are OK with this, some folks, not so much.

·
There's always next year.
872 Posts

Crikey!

I'd personally save the cash for race entries or road trips (or look at rotating weight, but with the Expert, I think you're looking at mega-bucks there)--especially if like the fit of the saddle and bars.

I personally have no issues throwing carbon bars on my mountain bikes (There can be other reasons to go carbon on the bars other than weight), but for some reason, carbon saddle rails scare me.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
It is fun and always worth it ! If you can try shaving weight from everything that spins. Cranks,jockey wheels, pedals etc...you will notice an improvement !! I've just spent 32 Euro on crazy light jockey wheels, love it !! Each screw cost 2 euro...:p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts