Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2014 Devinci Troy quick review

343K views 2K replies 161 participants last post by  biked2school 
#1 · (Edited)
I received my new Troy last weekend. I had been looking for a new trail bike for a while now. I was about to get a Norco Sight or Range until I heard about the Troy. My Kona Tanuki DL was just not cutting it. It felt soft and just never felt "right" for my riding. I was excited to receive it. Its first test was on a DH jump trail that my friend built. The bike is really neutral in the air and handles the jumps great. I did not want to get the Kona hardly off the ground, never felt comfortable on it.

I then tested it on the local XC trails. Again it did really good. It feels much more efficient and I was able to climb the hills quicker than before as well as descend the other side fearlessly. I did not notice the larger wheel size one bit. It is playful and nimble. I am really impressed with it so far. It has been too long since an XC/AM trail ride has put such a large smile on my face. I once again can have fun on a trail bike.

Just thought I would share. It is the carbon frame with the XP build kit. The value vs options were hard to beat! Thank you Billy Goat Bikes!

As she sits now with a single NW chain ring and dropper.
Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle part

-Brett

See less See more
#327 ·
I live in Ann Arbor and just pains me to look outside. I am tired of riding the indoor trainer. I am thinking about getting this troy but also looking at the Rocky mountain and the Bronson, and the Giant Trance. Can't decide what way to go.

#314 ·
The green I'm sure will look sick. Devinci seems to be good at asthetics. I wish they would have done matte with the red. I'm a sucker for the red/black contrast, and as I said the matte would be better for not showing scratches in the long run. Make sure to get some type of down tube protection.

#316 ·
My first carbon bike too. I'm guessing with your quick response, you're running out the clock at work like me. The shop I bought it from uses motocross number plate background material in clear. It's thicker and more durable than some other products, its cheap, clear so as to not take away from the bare carbon awesomeness, and you can cut it to size. You apparently can get it at a motorcycle shop on online.

#320 ·
The matte carbon/green is so sick! I was originally emailing to have a red one ordered but the dealer sent me a pic of the new color. Even though I could have gotten the red one right now, I opted to backorder so I can get the Green.

I have 2' of snow on the ground so the wait won't kill me. If I knew how to post pics, I would. The picture of the green bike is now my screensaver. Haha!

#328 ·
First of all, you can't go wrong likely we any of them. What type of riding do you do? That might stear you in one direction. I'm totally biased as I chose the Troy. I have only ridden the Rocky Altitude and it was great. The Ride 9 system is pretty cool to dial in the ride just how you like it. The Troy doesn't have 9 settings, but it does have 2. So, there is some adjustability there. The Bronson and Trance are fixed in their geo. That doesn't make them any less bike, just not quite as adjustable.I haven't ridden the latter 2, but by all accounts they're great.

Like a lot of people on this thread, I got the Carbon Troy with the XP build. Incredible value for what you get. It performs really well going uphill even with the shock in descend. Descending was really stable. Not the most nimble bike I've ever ridden, but close. Honestly though, all of those bikes by all accounts do both well. Thoughts on which way you're leaning?

#329 ·
Holy Moly. You guys have been busy! i will try to answer all the questions I see but if i miss something please let me know. Im going to work backwards.

Green version is gloss./QUOTE]

The Green version is flat like the Wilson. It also has the top tube painted like the Carbon Wilson Stealth frame with charcoal. I will say I have only seen a picture and things are always up to change but Im 99% it is flat. I cant post up pictures until Devinci says I can. It does not look like the Ibis other than its black and green. If you have the picture please do not post it until Devinci does

What do you suggest for down tube protection. This will be my first carbon bike?/QUOTE]

Check our N-Style universal motocross number plate background material in clear

Further to the above, How are the Hans dampf performing with the Troy? Got my eye on the Continental mountain king 2.4's
The tires are very good for a performance tire. The compound is a little better this year. You cant go wrong with the black chili compound from Continental. Its the best out there IMO

Just curious the Devinci states it is Stealth compatible, I am not seeing the hole any help? /QUOTE]

It is a true stealth capable frame whether in carbon or alloy. The carbon frame has internal routing through the down tube. It exits the frame and re-enters at the bottom of the seat tube vs the alloy just has the hole at the bottom of the seat tube.

A quick release on the 12mm rear would have been nice/QUOTE]

The Carbon frame does have a QR rear axle. Its a maxle light but it has to be the one for the split pivot system if your trying to upgrade

Devinci's .ca website doesn't list an XP build carbon Troy, and when I asked a LBS they weren't aware of it either. Does anyone know if they are available in Canada?/QUOTE]

It is the parts kit off the Alloy bike but on the carbon frame. The shock comes with the frame. If someone received a Carbon frame with a monarch then their dealer switched it. The carbon frame currently comes with a Fox CTD adjust boost valve kashima

The elixer 3s on my Troy are OK. They stop you pretty good, do not feel the best, but will run them until they start giving problems.
/QUOTE]

Brett is right. We have had very good luck with the elixer 3's but they are a throw away brake meaning once they start to act up get something else. All elixer's are throw away brakes IMO as you will spend more trying to have them rebuilt and bled than it costs for new brakes.

I figure I will run the bike with the avids s then eventually up grade to some shimano Slx /QUOTE]

The 2014 SLX brakes are pure crap. We have had issues with every set we have sold so far 4 outta 4. Look at the XT or my preference Hope or the Hayes Prime Comp. Its the cheapest and the strongest!

I'm getting an alloy. How much of a difference in handling will it be if I install a dropper post? No layback there, so it looks like I will have to compensate with a longer stem. What is the stock length? The website only says the Easton ea50 in 31.8 diameter and not the stem length. I'd rather not get a longer stem if it is already 90 or 100m/QUOTE]

The stem is either a 50 or a 60mm, I will have to measure. They are all the same size and dont get longer for each size. The SL build does have a longer stem. The stock layback is 15mm. The alloy has a tighter feel to the cockpit. The actual seat tube angle is steeper by about 2 degrees than the carbon

I'll wait for this one too. Mine gets delivered in a week and a half and I'd like to know if I need to save for a new wheelset. Either way, I'll be trying to do just that. Results in two weeks regardless of the answers here. I'd just like to know how much of a challenge it will be to get them to seal correctly./QUOTE]

We have converted quite a few to tubeless and they work fine. The new tires can be a ***** to set if they have not been ridden. An air compressor if for sure required and maybe a ratchet strap:)

squeaking
Ill address the squeaking issue now. This applies to all bikes. Do NOT tear your pivots apart and clean and then lather them in grease. Most squeaks come from the extra grease catching dirt. So if you clean it and put more grease back on there, it will catch dirt and start to squeak again. You can put a light, very light coat to prevent corrosion but the bigger the blob does not equal the better the job. Clean your pivots of all grease and apply just enough to keep the parts from corroding and you will be squeak free. The bearings are sealed after all, so your blob of grease does no good. Just enough to prevent corrosion which is a very small amount.

Thanks everyone!! Sorry for the slow replies

Matt
matt@billygoatbikes.com

#330 ·
I forgot about someone asking about the descending capability vs the Sight. Its more about the components than anything else. With the same parts both are very close in descending capability. I cant say one is better than the other. The sight feels a little more plush but the Troy is more stable feeling. The stand up climbing ability is where the difference is

#331 ·
Quick note to longer leggers. The post on the lg is 350mm and I found myself a smidge above the min insert line with my 5tens and skinny flats while grinding up the logging road today.
I'm a 33" inseam, so just something to keep in mind if you're taller and prefer smaller frames.
The Troy continues to shine on my favorite trails in Bellingham.

#333 ·
I love my Troy, but Devinci really shot themselves in the foot here. Why on earth when you've got such great hype going for the bike after Stevie Smith won the Air DH, would you send them the only XC oriented spec of the bike? Seriously, a bike everyone is expecting to rip downhills and you send a under-forked, narrow barred, long stemmed version? What a wasted opportunity. They had a golden opportunity, and they squandered it by sending the SL to Pinkbike, BikeMag, and Vital! I would love to see how tunes would change if they sent them the XP build. Yes, there would still be comments on the fit, but things would change for sure on the overall impression.

For any prospective buyers, the medium feels the same or maybe even longer as a medium carbon sight. For reference, I am 5'9 and 3/4 with a longer than average wingspan, and I still bought a medium(which came with a 50mm stem). I feel more upright than I'm used to(from an old xc rig), but not cramped by any means.

Devinci seems like a cool company for sure; the kind you'd like to root for. However, they really squandered a golden opportunity with the spec they sent for testing.

#334 ·
So here is a little update on the color scheme. It has changed from the design I had originally seen. The green is a yellow to green fade. The upper half of the top tube is painted and the finish is back to gloss. Picture to come soon. No one has actually seen them yet, only computer generated pics are out there.

not the best review......../QUOTE]

Those reviews are more about the build kit than the bike. With the correct build the bike is amazing. Devinci sent the wrong spec to be tested but don't let that scare you off

#335 ·
Reviews like that must drive the product managers crazy.

Along the same lines as not providing pedals due to personal preference of clips vs. flats, I would think that these higher end builds would be better served by not shipping with tires. Instead maybe provide two stems to help fit and leave the tire choice up to the end user and their LBS to sort out for local conditions and riding style.

I also agree that the cheaper XP build with the 150mm up front and wider bars would have likely gone over better “out of the box” with these reviewers as a more sorted out trail/AM bike. Sending off an “XC” rig was not the wisest move.

#336 ·
I think the problem is that a 6grand carbon 140mm bike is up against some stiff competition and decent (heavier) tyres alone will nudge it over 30lbs, for that reason they chose to send out the narrow barred, long stemmed 2x10 version that is at odds with the all important enduro trends

theres enough hype around the Troy that some positive reviews of a gnarly build would hit the target demographic and people would buy bucket loads and ignore the cramped top tube and jittery rear suspension just like with the Santa Cruz Bronson!

#337 ·
I can see past the build. And found it hard to pass with an excellent rear suspension and then going with a carbon frame xp build with a pike was icing on the cake. From there I can dial it in the way I like

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

#338 ·
I can see past the build. And found it hard to pass with an excellent rear suspension and then going with a carbon frame xp build with a pike was icing on the cake. From there I can dial it in the way I like/QUOTE]

Thats the way to go for sure. Nothing comes close to that good of a bike with that level build for such a low price. The supposed sizing issues are the biggest crock of crap I have ever heard. The Sight gets amazing reviews with no complaints on sizing and it feels smaller than the Troy of the same size. It has a longer stem and flatter bars which should make it feel bigger

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.