Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

141 - 155 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi,

Anybody had any rusting problems on LE version welds?

I spotted some yellow-ish discolorations on the welds near BB/Seat Tube junction but ignored it.
Recently checked this area after new chain installation and found some rusty spots on the welds...

Not exactly happy bunny :-/

Cheers!
I.
Yeah I've had that discolouration for a while now but haven't really paid much attention to it. No rust spots so far.

·
squish, squish in da fish
1,709 Posts
Hi,

Anybody had any rusting problems on LE version welds?

I spotted some yellow-ish discolorations on the welds near BB/Seat Tube junction but ignored it.
Recently checked this area after new chain installation and found some rusty spots on the welds...

Not exactly happy bunny :-/

Cheers!
I.
Yeah I've had that discolouration for a while now but haven't really paid much attention to it. No rust spots so far.
yeah i have a 13 chrome and the bb/st junction and ht/tt junction have copper showing through. i will get rust on the bb/st, but i just make sure no mud sits in that area and hit it with a silicone spray that i have laying around. i contacted sean about the thin nickel areas and my concerns as it wasn't even built yet, and he said to just keep it wiped down and not to let water sit on it. kinda ticked about that at the time, but i'm over it. the plating isn't the best quality in those areas

·
Registered
14 Posts
What up guys? currently building my new nimble 9. really want to run a reverb stealth dropper post, but there isnt any routing for it? anybody have suggestions on how i could make this work? maybe bore out the whole for the front derailer that im not using??

·
Canfield Bikes
1,122 Posts
Sanjay said: "The little rubber insert I believe was off of a Santa Cruz. It will hopefully keep dirt and grime out of my frame and the cable from getting chewed by by the frame."

He has posted a bit on Facebook, just search his name.

·
Registered
225 Posts
yeah i have a 13 chrome and the bb/st junction and ht/tt junction have copper showing through. i will get rust on the bb/st, but i just make sure no mud sits in that area and hit it with a silicone spray that i have laying around. i contacted sean about the thin nickel areas and my concerns as it wasn't even built yet, and he said to just keep it wiped down and not to let water sit on it. kinda ticked about that at the time, but i'm over it. the plating isn't the best quality in those areas
Cheers Chaps!

Looks like I'm not the only one with this problem.

However that is pretty worying...

Especially that after contacting Canfield received pretty disconcerning reply.

With questions if by any chance I'm riding in wet conditions :skep:

Really? Last time when I checked MTB was about riding in ANY conditions...

Cheers!
I.

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm not metalurgist or steel technician, but had quite a few steel frames in my stable. Some of them chromium plated in some parts.
So in my oppinion it is bad plating job, as I NEVER experienced anything like that. And some of these frames are now almost my age (41).

What is really sad that Canfield was very, very slow in replying and sending "pearls of wisdom" in likes: it is normal, just use some steel wool to polish it out, are you riding in wet conditions...

That is not exactly something I would call good customers service.

I understand I'm just a poor relative from small island next to Europe but was expecting a bit more from such a company...

Cheers!
I.

·
Dickhouse
299 Posts

·
Some Dude
253 Posts
Is the rusting on the Canfield above something common with these chrome plated frames? Or is it only from riding constantly in wet conditions? I just pre-ordered one 😳 . Should I be worried?

141 - 155 of 155 Posts