Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

121 - 140 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Anyone reckon it's OK to run the N9 SS, chain stays slammed very short without the tensioner bolt nut in place (the bolts are in and tight, but if I add the nut I'm going to have to push the sliders back, add a chain link and a bunch more chain stay length)?

I guess the principle risk is loosing a bolt on the trails.

(Gearing is 32:18 with a chain that's a bit stretched).

·
Registered
565 Posts
sure, they're not actually 100% slammed, the screws are still applying a little tension, though not enough to get the nut in there.

anyway I'll give it a try and keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Anyone out there running anything bigger than a 160mm rotor in the rear?

I got a 180mm rotor at the moment and i'm trying to find an adapter to make it work.

I think I found one that could work. It's a Avid 203mm adapter

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Anyone out there running anything bigger than a 160mm rotor in the rear?

I got a 180mm rotor at the moment and i'm trying to find an adapter to make it work.

I think I found one that could work. It's a Avid 203mm adapter
You just need a +20mm adapter. Looks like this:
Adapter.JPG

·
Registered
485 Posts
Anyone had any issues with an expanded 10 speed cassette? I've put a Hope T Rex 40T expander at the back of my cassette (and taken out the 17T) - the rear arm of the M786 XT mech is close enough to the cassette that in some shifts it obstructs the chain from shifting (in particular from 28T to 24T).

Anyone have any knowledge of this?

This pic shows the chain touching the RM after the shift has been clicked to upshift. It's not jammed, I can shift 2 up then 2 back if I have to, but at the point on the cycle where the tooth is trying to throw the chain outwards, the link is touching the RM.
I had the same issue... The cassette wore a notch in my derailleur arm... XTR...

I put the same parts on another bike and did not have the same issue... Highball...

I noticed that the derailleur was rotated lower on the Highball vs the N9... Basically, the N9 dropout is what's causing the issue with running a 40t and shimano der. I tried many adjustments but have not succeeded. Running a 650b setup now, 36t is perfect. No issues at all there...

I'll install a Radcaged der and if that helps any...

·
Registered
91 Posts
I finally got my new XL N9 built up and took it out for a quick shakedown ride after work. On some fairly non-technical flowy singletrack, I can happily confirm that everything good I'd heard about it is true. It is indeed nimble, but also stable, responsive, comfortable and a genuine riot to ride. I still need to put it through its paces on some more demanding terrain, but initial impressions are super positive. Great bike!!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
^^Very nice build.

I love that you stayed with Chrome and Black. Perfect setup imho. Only thing I would do is ditch the wheel graphics.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Helping a friend build up a 2014 chrome. Wanting seat clamp advice. Diameter? Particularly one that comes in blue. Loaded? Salsa?
Seatpost clamp is 29.8mm. I went with a black thomson clamp. There are not a lot of options at this size. I think salsa is the only other clamp I really found. I'm not a fan of loaded as all there colors clash with every other brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
254 Posts
Cool deal. Thx for the help. Helping him get the right chris king headset too. Want the flush upper/traditional lower. Anyone know which model this is? Canfield site says 44mm upper and lower, but the ck site says 44 upper 49 lower, is this the correct one? Why the diff, I imagine its because the bearingd are external? Thx!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hi,

Anybody had any rusting problems on LE version welds?

I spotted some yellow-ish discolorations on the welds near BB/Seat Tube junction but ignored it.
Recently checked this area after new chain installation and found some rusty spots on the welds...

Not exactly happy bunny :-/

Cheers!
I.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Can anyone post the part number for a cane creek 40 series headset for my 2014 nimble 9? I just want to make sure I get the right one. Thx in advance.

·
Registered
849 Posts
here you go.... Off Cane Creek Website
TAPERED ZS44|EC44/40
ZS44/28.6|EC44/40

TAPERED ZS44|EC44/40

COMPLETE Tapered ZS44|EC44/40

Technical Description ZS44/28.6|EC44/40
Top Type ZS - ZeroStack
Top Head Tube Inside Dia. 44.0mm
Stem Clamp Dia. 28.6mm