Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I begin let me clear some haters out the way by saying this...

I have a $2000 budget.
I'm going to buy a FSR.
I CANNOT go much over 2000.

For some reason when guys like me ask for advice on forums like this we get pretty crappy responses...

Of course we know that we should get a more expensive bike! Duh! But we cant because $2000 is already pushing it!

We WANT a full suspension bike! Damn, paying this much we should at least be getting a little of what we want.

I'm NO expert and don't plan on zooming down the side of a mountain or racing every other week.

I just want to ride and enjoy the ride ;)

But we also work hard for the little money we have to spend on a nicer bike and try to get a good deal AND seek out opinions from people that ride more than us!

So please, if your going to type anything negative or in your eyes "constructive criticism" re read from the top.

Just because we can't relate to you buying a $5000 bike does not mean we can't ask for help!
---------------------------------------------------------------

So my question is this. The base Camber has lower budget forks on it compared to last year.

In your honest opinion, if I got a good deal on a pair of 120mm RockShox forks and threw them on that bake would it compare to the 2013 model? Or still worse?

Is it even worth the upgrade?
Also considering the Trek Fuel EX5

·
Registered
63 Posts
since you say you would want to swap out the fork right away. IMHO I think you should just save up some more and get a better spec'ed bike. In a few months the newer 2015 range will be coming in. The 2014 bikes would be cheaper.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
since you say you would want to swap out the fork right away. IMHO I think you should just save up some more and get a better spec'ed bike. In a few months the newer 2015 range will be coming in. The 2014 bikes would be cheaper.
I agree. Saving would be nice. But I really want to ride. The best I could do would be to put a bike on hold and pay it off! And I really can't go much over 2k. Like I said, this is all I can AFFORD!

But do you think switching the fork
out would be worth it or not?

·
No talent hack
1,118 Posts
For a base line, I ride a 2013 Camber Comp with the Monarch rear and Reba front. The biggest problem I see with the base model for 2014 is actually the REAR shock. I know nothing about the X-Fusion O2, but it seems like a pretty chinsy spec'd shock. To upgrade the rear shock, you will be forced to buy from Specialized or another Camber owner as the rear mount on the shock is a special style. That upgrade alone will bring you REALLY close to the 2014 Camber Comp cost.

It sucks because I know you REALLY want to ride, but I think you would be SO MUCH happier saving up a little more to get the Comp level.

I would also advise you to really search. I know some shop around here still have the 2013 Comps which are equipped like the 2014 EVO, and they can be had for $1999. Now THAT is a KILLER deal that meets your budget. For proof, this is one of the shops that is local to me: Closeout and Used Bicycles - Bike Mart, Bikemart, Richardson, Dallas, Frisco, Texas

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame Bicycle part
For a base line, I ride a 2013 Camber Comp with the Monarch rear and Reba front. The biggest problem I see with the base model for 2014 is actually the REAR shock. I know nothing about the X-Fusion O2, but it seems like a pretty chinsy spec'd shock. To upgrade the rear shock, you will be forced to buy from Specialized or another Camber owner as the rear mount on the shock is a special style. That upgrade alone will bring you REALLY close to the 2014 Camber Comp cost.

It sucks because I know you REALLY want to ride, but I think you would be SO MUCH happier saving up a little more to get the Comp level.

I would also advise you to really search. I know some shop around here still have the 2013 Comps which are equipped like the 2014 EVO, and they can be had for $1999. Now THAT is a KILLER deal that meets your budget. For proof, this is one of the shops that is local to me: Closeout and Used Bicycles - Bike Mart, Bikemart, Richardson, Dallas, Frisco, Texas
WTH Knight511? How did you know! You sparked my interest to look and I found a 13' Camber Comp for $2200! I test drove it an hour ago and then put down $1000!

WOW TY! lol And you were so right. I compared the 2014 to it and the 13' much much better...

Damn I'm excited! But I have to wait to pay it off :(

Thanks!

·
No talent hack
1,118 Posts
View attachment 883038

WTH Knight511? How did you know! You sparked my interest to look and I found a 13' Camber Comp for $2200! I test drove it an hour ago and then put down $1000!

WOW TY! lol And you were so right. I compared the 2014 to it and the 13' much much better...

Damn I'm excited! But I have to wait to pay it off :(

Thanks!
Now THAT makes me happy. You will be SO MUCH HAPPIER with this spec of bike. The only bad thing is you had to get a black one... ;) I tried to get another friend to jump on a 13 Comp here locally, so I knew they were still around and marked down. I love love love my Camber and am SO happy I bought it. The only 2 things I have done to it: 1. I swapped the thumb shifters out for X0 GripShift (I have hand issues that makes me hate thumb shifting) and 2. I put a set of Time ATAC Z-Strong (now called DH4) pedals on it. I have done nothing but ridden the snot out of it.

Oh... yeah... I swapped out the seat post clamp because I am a larger rider and the OEM clamped SUCKED and would not hold the post no matter how tight I made it... I have a Salsa Lip Lock collar now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.