Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have entered the BC Bike Race this year and am looking for some advice on tyre choice... coming from Western Australia our trails are very different so am not sure what to use.

My initial thoughts are some Conti X-Kings or some Schwalbe Rocket Rons.. but maybe that is way too light?

Ordinarily I use Conti Mountain King II's... maybe I should be looking at a Conti X-Trail, Schwalbe Nobby Nic or even a Schwalbe Hans Dampf?

Any thoughts, suggestions or experience in the BC Bike Race?

Help! Thank you!

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
My priorities would be
1. Durability
2. Rolling resistance
3. Grip.
4. Weight.

For condition you could have wet, you could have dry conditions. The good news is I find that generally on the coast of BC tires that work in the dry also work in the wet.

See you there.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Pretty much agree with LMN (I've done race twice). You don't need a super knobby tire. I ran nobby nics one year, they were good (roll better than you might think), rocket Rons the other. Also fine. Ikons would also be a good choice. But as suggested, get the version with sidewall protection, whether snakeskin or exo. Not only saves you being stuck in middle of day with a cut sidewall, but you will also be able to get much more aggressive - which will not only result in more smiles, but also allow you to make up a lot of time.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Have entered the BC Bike Race this year and am looking for some advice on tyre choice... coming from Western Australia our trails are very different so am not sure what to use.

My initial thoughts are some Conti X-Kings or some Schwalbe Rocket Rons.. but maybe that is way too light?

Ordinarily I use Conti Mountain King II's... maybe I should be looking at a Conti X-Trail, Schwalbe Nobby Nic or even a Schwalbe Hans Dampf?

Any thoughts, suggestions or experience in the BC Bike Race?

Help! Thank you!
I've only drooled over windsurfing pictures of Margaret River but also agree with LMN. Go with the Mountain King for front and you can use RR's or Race Kings in the rear. I've used X-Kings in every wheelsize combination and come to the conclusion that they're thoroughly medicre.

Pretty much agree with LMN (I've done race twice). You don't need a super knobby tire. I ran nobby nics one year, they were good (roll better than you might think), rocket Rons the other. Also fine. Ikons would also be a good choice. But as suggested, get the version with sidewall protection, whether snakeskin or exo. Not only saves you being stuck in middle of day with a cut sidewall, but you will also be able to get much more aggressive - which will not only result in more smiles, but also allow you to make up a lot of time.
Ikons, Crossmarks, even Aspens all work fine. Let's face it. Unless you're racing for Top 10 you're basically testing yourself - your tire choice won't make or break your week. Balance out the speed vs fun aspect with respect to tire choice. Don't be a Graeme Street meltdown

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My priorities would be
1. Durability
2. Rolling resistance
3. Grip.
4. Weight.

For condition you could have wet, you could have dry conditions. The good news is I find that generally on the coast of BC tires that work in the dry also work in the wet.

See you there.
Agree with you priorities... although I want something that is fast and light I also don't want to be flailing in the mud after splitting a side wall.

LMN - what are you riding?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice...

Was worried that Nobby Nics might have been a bit light on on the sidewall protection... I have a set on my hardtail and although I have never damaged a side wall I always think I am going to!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.