Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Trek (Remedy 8) owners, I am seeking your help. I am about to have my local bike shop change all of my pivot bearings but in an effort to save a few pounds (Euros to be specific) we have agreed that I will order the bearings myself and strip the bike down in advance. I am comfortable stripping the bike down but am not 100% sure exactly which bearings (size/part number) I need to order. My bike is a 2013 Trek Remedy 8 (Old School 26 incher, alluminium). I recently stripped the bike down and noticed that a few of the bearings were 'rough' i.e. they did not rotate freely and made a grinding noise when turned. The bike also creaked when ridden. After opening and regreasing the bearings I was able to eliminate the creaking sound and, as a result, the bike feels much better (although this may only be in my head) but I know its time for replacement bearings (I have only replaced the bearings once in the 6 years of ownership). I have spent (wasted) hours online trying to ascertain exactly which bearings I need and I have not yet received an answer from Trek (an automated message tells me they will get back to me in 10 days). My local bike shop (not a Trek dealer) does not know and would have to spend time (and my money) seeking the answer themselves when I suspect there are many Trek experts on these Forums who probably already know the answer.

From what I have worked out so far most of the bearings are fairly standard 6900 2RS (22x10x6). The only illustrated parts diagrams I could find online was for a 2010 Trek Fuel Ex which used six 6900 2RS bearings in the rocker pivot, two 6901-2RS (24x12x6) bearings in the rear axle and two 6903 (30x17x7) bearings in the main pivot. It is highly likely my bike uses the same but I am not certain and would appreciate advice from people on this forum.

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Driver Bob, you’re an absolute star. This has unambiguously answered my question and in super quick time. It looks like my assumptions were good for 8 of the 10 bearings but the two ABP bearings at the rear are a different size to that of the Fuel Ex. I’ll send these details to the bearing company and see what they come back with.

Many thanks indeed for your help.

·
Super Moderator
4,927 Posts
Driver Bob, you're an absolute star. This has unambiguously answered my question and in super quick time. It looks like my assumptions were good for 8 of the 10 bearings but the two ABP bearings at the rear are a different size to that of the Fuel Ex. I'll send these details to the bearing company and see what they come back with.

Many thanks indeed for your help.
No problem, pay it forward in whatever way you can.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.