Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a 2013 trek mamba at LBS they have 3 of them but 1 doesn't have the Hayes Dyno Sport brake set up on it. Salesman says they're Tektro ,but every Mamba i can find has Hayes on it. Anybody ever seen one set up this way. They are still trying to get retail for this bike and telling me its a better bike than a x cal 8, which they don't have anyone with any thoughts on this situation. thanks

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,425 Posts
The X-Cal 8 is better. It is one year newer (a plus), and it has Shimano brakes (another plus). The only reason they are saying the Mambas are better is because they are trying to get rid of their old stock, so they can get more bikes in.
You should look around some more, Tektros suck.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
The X-Cal 8 is better. It is one year newer (a plus), and it has Shimano brakes (another plus). The only reason they are saying the Mambas are better is because they are trying to get rid of their old stock, so they can get more bikes in.
You should look around some more, Tektros suck.
Truth! I would spend my money on the X-Cal 8 instead of the Mamba if I were you OP. Check it out...

·
Registered
164 Posts
I bought a leftover 2013 Mamba in October for $799! My buddy bought the XCal 8 about a month later for like $850. I'm not really a big fan of either but I like the Mamba more than the XCal! Not that their a bad bike or anything but I'm kinda a big dude that rides hard and likes to hit jumps and do stuff that no entry level bikes gonna take with 250lbs on it! The fork bottomed out a lot and I bent the hell outta the rims. My buddy which is 150lbs soaking wet stuffed it on a jump and tacoed his rim also. For the month that I rode my Mamba I had no problems with the brakes they actually seemed to work better than the set of Shimano brakes on my buddies XCal. I didn't really like the way the Treks cornered which may be the G2 geometry or just because I was new to riding a 29er. I also liked the Shimano group set on the Mamba over the SRAM parts that comes on the XCal. Myself personally I'd take the Mamba over the XCal. You can find either lightly used at a pretty big discount on your local Craigslist. I sold mine on there with an upgraded front Mavic hoop, computer and a comfy seat for $750. I would definetly look for a good used one over a payin retail for a leftover.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts