Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2521 - 2540 of 2555 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yesterday was 4 years to the day I built my second Spitfire, I had the generation prior too.
Still loving it.
Other brands may have caught up but nothing's caught my eye to ever replace it.
(Maybe that ridiculous new Evo Stumpy?)
Had been having issues for a few months with the top frame pivot having wiggle room even with the correct torque on the bolt.
Turns out it was bottoming out so just added a washer and she's tight once again.

I was riding out of town on the Easter break and bumped into a family out riding in the same area.
Turns out the boy was sitting on my old Gen 1 Spitty that I sold those 4 years ago.
He was stoked to see not only 1 but 2 other Spitfires in the same place.
I was just happy to see how much he loved riding his bike and seeing how hard it can still go.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Don't know if I'll get an answer here, but I try....

As you can see looking the last 20 posts, I've got a 2013 Spitfire. As it is now, and for different reasons (but who need excuses), I'm looking to change my bike. Or at least my frames. Lots of considerations, discussions with ride buddies, discussion with myself while driving..... and my conclusion is, as it is every time I ride my Spitty, what a hell of a damn' bike ! Why try to change to a Canyon Spectral, a YT Jeffsy or something comparable. I changed a lot of equipment of my Spitfire, looking at the best part I can get for the money, or the parts I like the most, or.... It's just a bike built as I want it. And I love riding it. For one hour on home trails (very XCish) or for a complete day in the Alps ! Love it. Damn' I Love it !

The question is now. Are the modifications made to the last Spitfire iterations worth the change ? I tried to find out the differences and as I'm running mine with 26'' dropouts and 27.5'' wheels, it can be a bit tricky. Oh yeah, mine is an S size, but as I'm 1m70 with something like 80+ cm inseam, a size M would be better (with a very short stem). I had a look at the geometry an it seam the differences are very small. What's about the weight ?
It accepts now 2.6 tires and is available with boost dropouts. It was 2.5 tires and no boost on mine.

What do you think ? If you Keith could also help me, would be nice....

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've got a 2014 Spitty in small.
You're 7cm taller than me but 3cm shorter than my mate on medium 2017 frame.
You'd be better off on a medium in my opinion.
I wouldn't bother buying boost, unless it's cheaper to sell your old components.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
I don't think the geo has changed too drastically from the 2013 to 2017. The reach increased by like 3mm and the STA got slightly steeper. Not sure you'll really notice those changes.

·
Registered
269 Posts
You are right, such small changes.... I don't know if Banshee didn't changed something at the suspension curves etc... it seems to me, if I seen it correctly, they are now advising for a different sag than before. Would be nice to here from Keith here.

I weighed mine just now : 14.2 Kg / almost 31 lbs

Frame : 2013 Sptifire, Size S, painted
Wheels :DT 240s hubs - DT XM401 rims (don't remember the spokes)
Tires : Front Continental Der Baron / Rear Maxxis Grippin DD
Fork : Manitou Mattoc
Shock : Manitou McLeod
Frankebrakes : Fr XT with Zee rear XT
Transmission : 11spd XT with 11-46 sunrise cassette.
Cranks : XT
Dropper : Reverb
Stem : Truvativ AKA (I could change this for something nicer thus...)
Bar : Renthal Fatbar carbon
Pedals : Hope flats

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Samos, nothing has changed with regards to the Reach or Stack, the HTA now only has 2 positions 66 & 66.5*, the STA has been steepened from 71.5/72/72.5 to 74.5/75*, Chainstays have been shortened from 433/437 to 426/428. Other than that the frame tubing itself got some tweaks, mainly the top tube and gusset to ST are all one now, in total the newer frames lost about a 1/2lb I think it was depending on which one you have because of the new hydro-forming and few other tweaks. Posting both geo charts below so you can check for yourself.

Personally, unless you have a problem with an area they changed (biggest being the STA for climbing), can't think I'd want to be upgrading to the new one if you're currently happy with yours. Best to try and get a test ride and see how you like the new one.

Spitfire-Geo-Chart 2017.jpg

Spitfire-Geo-Chart 2013.jpg

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thanks LyNx, exactly what I was thinking. Maybe get some new parts and tweak some little things. I changed all the suspension bearings at the beginning of the year. A new pair of wheels ? No. New brakes ? No. New transmission. Maybe. could be something. But happy with my XT. New crankset ? A pretty expensive and light one.... Hmmmm That could be nice. And new clothes, because that's what I miss the most now.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
My thoughts, maybe pick up a set of the 650B drop outs, that should give you the ability to run wider tyres than you currently can, increase in CS length will help climbing, the steeper the more you'll notice it.

New wheels are always nice, especially if you had some lighter weight alloy (flexy) or narrow rims, and looking at your pic you've got the XM401s which are only 22.5mm internal, so going to a i30 rim would increase support for your current tyres and should then let you run lower pressures for better grip. So, maybe not even new wheels if you like your current hubs (not sure if that's a complete DT wheelset), so could just do a rim swap. OR get the new wheels and have 2 sets, one with wider, burlier tyres for more AM days and the narrower set with narrower, lighter weight tyres for XC days - you'd be amazed at how much a wheelset/tyre change, can change how a bike feels and handles.

Thanks LyNx, exactly what I was thinking. Maybe get some new parts and tweak some little things. I changed all the suspension bearings at the beginning of the year. A new pair of wheels ? No. New brakes ? No. New transmission. Maybe. could be something. But happy with my XT. New crankset ? A pretty expensive and light one.... Hmmmm That could be nice. And new clothes, because that's what I miss the most now.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I will second LyNx’s suggestions and add this; consider upgrading your fork and shock. I ride a 2015 Phantom with a Fox 34 and a 2018 Fox DPX2. The late model (2016 and newer Fox forks are really nice. I can’t say enough about the DPX2-it is a fantastic shock that works really well with my Phantom. Easy to adjust, easy to change volume spacers, just all around a great shock. That with really transform your bike and make it feel really new.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thanks guys,
Gonna stick with my Mattoc on front. Not the more rigid, but top in term of control and easy to service.
For the shock, this could be a way to improve. But I'm not sure I need better than the McLeod for 80% of my rides. I had a CCDB air and I must say, in almost every situation, the McLeod is as good as it.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
The most significant changes in this time are:
- New custom hydroformed tubesets to make the bike lighter and stronger.
- Geometry changes, lots of little tweaks. The biggest of which is a significantly lower BB as the geometry switched from being 26" focused to being more 650b focused, so BB dropped by 7mm. Also the effective seat angle got a bit steeper.
- Linkage was reworked a bit to make the bike a bit more supple at start of travel with better bottom out resistance. Not radically different, just tweaked again.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Put some 2.6 tires on. They are on 29mm IW rims. In the process of "stretching" the tires out. Unexpected side effect is an almost 1lb weight reduction. It was at 30.7 with the previous 2.35 Hans Dampf (Trail star) and Rock Razor (Super Gravity...heavy!).

IMG_1113.jpg

IMG_1111.jpg

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey everyone,

I've got a current model Spitty and am having some issues with rear shocks.

In the last 5-6 months, the bike has killed 2 (possibly 3) of them.

The first was a CC DB Inline Coil, which after it was repaired it failed straight away again so I feel that might have been a faulty repair. The other shock that has had to go back (with scratches to the stanchion) is an X-Fusion Vector Coil HLR. (Which was raaaaaaad on the Spitty)

I do enjoy bumpy terrain but I am under no illusion that I have the skill or balls to be riding this bike past its limits.

I suppose my question is...

Has anyone had any frame alignment issues with the Spitfires? I took some measurements from the rear triangle measuring perpendicular to the seat post and there was a 0.6mm difference from the drive-side to the non-drive side. Hardly enough to make a difference I'd think.

Does anyone have any other thoughts?

I really enjoy this rig and would like to keep riding it but at the rate, the bike is going through shocks I don't think I will keep it.

I have filed a warranty claim with Banshee and am waiting on a response.

Cheers,

2521 - 2540 of 2555 Posts