Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2013 Specialized Camber 29er - Arrived

I have an opportunity to pick up a 2013 Camber (Base model) without the front wheel for $750. He claims that it hasn't been crashed, and not ridden much since he doesn't like full suspension.

What are the pros and cons of the model for those that have ridden it? Bear in mind that I'm more towards the advanced beginner side of mtb, and that I've never ridden full suspension. (Only ridden a front suspension a couple of times).

It's going to be mostly wider trails (Got taken on an intermediate/advanced trail on Sunday, had a bit of a rough time), and enduro/marathon type racing.

John

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
They are heavy bikes... just like most FS aluminum framed bikes with mid level components... $750 is a steal, my advice is to bring a front wheel with you to test ride it... even if it's been in a crash, you can take a looks at the frame first.... and aluminum is more forgiving than carbon...

pros and cons ? con, is it's heavy... pro is the price on this one.

maybe I should not have said that ;)

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
I have an opportunity to pick up a 2013 Camber (Base model) without the front wheel for $750. He claims that it hasn't been crashed, and not ridden much since he doesn't like full suspension.

What are the pros and cons of the model for those that have ridden it? Bear in mind that I'm more towards the advanced beginner side of mtb, and that I've never ridden full suspension. (Only ridden a front suspension a couple of times).

It's going to be mostly wider trails (Got taken on an intermediate/advanced trail on Sunday, had a bit of a rough time), and enduro/marathon type racing.

John
Con: It's a Specialized.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I know it's going to be right around 30 lbs. On the bikerumor site, they had the Camber Comp at just over 28 lbs. But, the current ride is a 2006 Fuji Tahoe Comp, I don't think it's going to be much difference than that.

Also, this will (essentially) be my first mountain bike in 20+ years, so I can live with an extra lb or two.

If I do decide on this one, then I'd ride on it for a year, then look at upgrading some of the components and wheels, and lightening it up where I can, or if I get really bitten, moving up in frame level.

I am assuming that for what I intend to use it for (other than weight), it's entirely sufficient?

John

·
How much further ???
2,371 Posts
Would highly doubt anyone is typically crashing at that speed. Maybe if you are looking at a DH bike. My guess is most "crashes" are low side wash outs which really mean nothing in my opinion. I've riden motorcycles and I know how important it is to know if it has been in an accident because of unforseen issues like a bent frame etc. But I dont think this really applies to mountain bikes. You can visually see the condition of the bike and the bike either shifts or it doesnt. The wheels are either true or they are not.

I just found the claim of "hasnt been involed in a crash" sort of odd. Maybe he meant he never rode it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Would highly doubt anyone is typically crashing at that speed. Maybe if you are looking at a DH bike. My guess is most "crashes" are low side wash outs which really mean nothing in my opinion. I've riden motorcycles and I know how important it is to know if it has been in an accident because of unforseen issues like a bent frame etc. But I dont think this really applies to mountain bikes. You can visually see the condition of the bike and the bike either shifts or it doesnt. The wheels are either true or they are not.

I just found the claim of "hasnt been involed in a crash" sort of odd. Maybe he meant he never rode it.
He's a triathlete by nature, so I guess he assumed like I did that it's relevant information.

Agree on the low side washouts, I had three of those on Sunday.

John

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe the front wheel was locked to a rack when he became "owner" of the bike:skep: and that is why there is no front wheel
Just sayin...
He's got a built set that he wants to keep, the rear is the original and he gave the front to a friend that bent his.

Looks like it will probably be $700 + shipping from Texas if I do it.

John

·
No Clue Crew
7,711 Posts
A mountain bike that hasn't been crashed is a mountain bike that's never been properly ridden.

Not sure why you'd be looking to buy your first mountain bike in years sight unseen/unridden. Is there nothing on the local Craigslist/Pinkbike that suits you?

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
i wouldnt buy an incomplete bike, sight-unseen, esp with Spec unless you are super confident in the seller and that the bike wont need any specialized-specific work.

·
How much further ???
2,371 Posts
I must be a bike s!ut because I will ride any wheelsize. Depends on the mood Im in. :ihih:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.