Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Scott Scale 970, as said by the title. My question is, is the frame worth upgrading with parts? Or should I just buy a better frame down the road which includes good parts. I made an impulsive purchase with this, which I am by no means regretful. I like the bike and all, and like the hardtail vs. FS. Im just curious about the quality of the frame itself. My knowledge of bikes is pretty inferior to most on here, Im sure.

My uses are road/trail. Nothing serious with he trails though. I'm actually moving to FL from MA, so most riding will be done there. Obviously no mountains. But I will bring it up to MA on Vaca or anywhere else I may go with mountains to ride. Im no expert on trails, I just like a fun ride with a bit of challenge. I have no intentions on strictly DH riding. I want an all-around bike.

Fire away with the replies! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
650 Posts
It's a great frame and well worth upgrading. Some will come and say that it doesn't have the 'bridgeless seatstays' like the other higher end models but big deal. Do you notice that when you're riding? It's still the great geometry of the higher end models. As for upgrading it's only really the fork that is substandard. You can upgrade to a Suntour air fork using the Suntour upgrade program for $200. The rest of the parts are trail worthy and perfect for the type of riding you describe so I wouldn't waste money upgrading parts until they break or wear out.

On my bike I upgraded the fork, saddle (stock saddle was a killer) and pedals. The drivetrain and brakes are great as far as I'm concerned. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I _LOVED_ my alloy scott (29 Comp). I just wish it had more carbonium in order to take the sting off little hits. That geometry is fantastic, and I'm actually considering replicating it in a chinertanium frame since I liked it so much, and since used Scales are so hard to find. I sold mine because I wanted FS, and now I pine for it.

I wouldn't bother dumping the frame unless you get the weight weenie bug, and even then I'd wait until you're running a sid/reba, king wheels, XTR everything, yadda yadda before doing the frame.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome! Thanks for the replies! Makes me feel that much better about what I got. I definitely don't care that much about the weight. I'm not saying that may change in the future. The weight it is now is much lighter than my old Specialized FSR-XC I had. I never plan to be pro, but I do plan on getting into races once I get back into the shape I used to be in. My endurance isnt quite there anymore like it used to be. I just don't know that much about bikes to really understand what I am working with. Up til I bought my Specialized, all my bikes prior were POS bikes.

Guess now I am going to start researching about what works well with this bike. Seems like this forum might be a good starting point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts