Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Scale 950 is priced at $1200-
The Stumpjumpers is priced at $1700-
I need to pull the trigger tomorrow (3/29), any thoughts?
Here is a side by side comparison.

Oh yeah, wheel set isn't a deciding factor; I have a custom set I'll be putting on whichever bike I get.

Thanks!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Scott Scale hands down. Check out the reviews below for two of the lower spec Scales. Hardtail of the year winner for 2012 and 2013. If they were the same price I'd probably still lean towards the Scale but it'd be a 50/50 call. At $500 less it's no contest.

I can't see where the $500 difference is in the specs of the two bikes. If anything the Fox fork on the Scale edges the Reba on the Stumpy and I'd personally take the Shimano brakes and drivetrain over the Sram.

Scott Scale 29 Comp review - MBR

Scott Scale 960 mountain bike review

·
Registered
15,126 Posts
From Pinkbike-
"Last year was tough for FOX, with their new CTD damper being universally called out as being underdamped, and air spring changes that left their forks using too much travel far too often."
I would pick the Scott but do a damper upgrade.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If my Scott Spark 930 (now completely upgraded all the way around) is any indication, without a doubt go with the Scott Scale. I'm thinking of picking one up myself. You wont be disappointed and you wont be supporting Specialized.

Edit: Almost forgot, buy it through REI for a cash kickback next Spring. I bought my Spark at REI in Oregon to bypass CA sales tax and get my cash dividend. I saved $800. REI has a lot of 2013 Scott models on clearance right now.

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,603 Posts
The Scott is the best choice of the two.
Not only is it less expensive, but it has better components (Shimano over SRAM).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have to wait for a dry day to take the Scott for a test spin, but barring any disappointments with that I decided that I'm going to get it. Thanks for all your input! This will be my first taste of suspension; I'm currently riding a rigid Redline 29er.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.