Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up a new take off Revelation 140 RLT and have noticed I only get around 100mm travel in use. I'm about 185# running 90psi. Then I notice the stanchions only show about 130mm total. Kind of hard to get 140mm travel out of 130mm stanchions. Wondering if this is normal for this fork?

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
looks like they need balancing, the sag marker shows not 0mm either.

I havent got the solo air ones (yet), but I think you let the air out and try and cycle forks up and down so that the negative air spring discharges. If there is too much air i the negative sprint it pulls the fork down.

Stu

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Stu,

Does seem to be some issue with the neg air. I don't see full length till I pump up the fork to 150psi. When I decrease pressure back down below 120 or so, the fork sucks down to the 10-20% sag marks.
I tried letting all the air out, cycle several times and air back up, but it still acts the same. I even pulled the valve core out to make sure there was no air at all left. Aired back up with no difference.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I found out about the "hidden" neg air Schrader valve on a thread about a similar problem with a Reva. Once I depressurized the neg air chamber and aired the fork back up, it returned to full travel. I'll have to see if it hold up over a few rides.

G

·
Well I found out about the "hidden" neg air Schrader valve on a thread about a similar problem with a Reva. Once I depressurized the neg air chamber and aired the fork back up, it returned to full travel. I'll have to see if it hold up over a few rides.
link to thread please.

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you have a dual air spring (not sure which this one is):

You need to have some pressure in the neg spring. Without any, your fork will be quite harsh at the beginning of travel. The neg spring is meant to reduce the effects of "stiction" that is, static friction of the seals in the air spring.

You should inflate your pos spring to the required pressure to get the sag you want and then inflate your neg spring to equal pressure or sometimes up to 10 psi higher to get extra plushness. Some experimentation required.

I suspect your neg spring was just inflated to a higher pressure than your pos.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,596 Posts
It may be a 140mm fork, but might have a spacer in it to reduce it to 120 or 130mm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts