Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for an entry level bike and I have narrowed it down to these 2. I have ridden both bikes, and honestly, I like both of them. I decided to think about it for a couple days... and compare components.

What do you guys think about this comparison chart ?

2013 Bobcat Trail 29er vs 2013 RockHopper Comp 29 - Mountain Bikes Comparison

Are there any advantages to one bike over the other?

I appreciate advice on the makeup of these bikes.. and I am open to suggestions of other bikes in this price range... under $700 new. I have found great prices on both bikes.. it seems the 2013's go on sale to make room for the 2014's ? ..

I realize I may be able to find a deal on a better bike used, and I am looking. No luck yet. What sites are great to look for used bikes besides ebay and craigslist ?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed

Marin has a better fork so I'd probably go with that if prices are similar.
I decided on the Marin Bobcat Trail and ordered it last night. $630 includes shipping my front door. Not bad.

I can't wait to take it for a ride. This is the bike & color I ordered...

By the way guys, CrossLake Sales on ebay is selling these bikes new for a solid price. He is selling other Marin bikes also. Way below MSRP. I actually contacted Marin to make sure he was a legit dealer... they knew the business name and ensured me the Marin warranty would be upheld even though it wasn't purchased at a LBS.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, had to be assembled by LBS

Did Marin require the bike to be assembled at a LBS for warranty purposes?
I registered my bike's serial # when I received it online with Marin. The Marin rep I spoke with told me as long as I have it assembled by a legit LBS and keep the receipt for the assembly.. it would remain under warranty.

I hope the gal I spoke with knew what she was talking about.

After riding the bike for a short time... I am pleased with it. I have had to readjust the disc brakes a couple of times to stop a rubbing noise... but that's easy to do. All in all, I am still satisfied with my purchase.

I am very glad I decided to go with a 29er instead of something smaller. The large wheels are awesome once you get used to them.

·
Registered
14,063 Posts
You are way ahead of 90% of the people who start riding on entry level bikes. Most of their bikes from last season show up on CL about now with almost no miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are way ahead of 90% of the people who start riding on entry level bikes. Most of their bikes from last season show up on CL about now with almost no miles.
I am sure a lot of folks buy a bike and then realize they don't enjoy it much / or don't make time or have time for it. I am loving it. So is my dog. I have been running him while I pedal my bicycle and he loves it so much. My neighbors laugh when they see us coming down the street. Great exercise for both of us.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Grats on the new wheels! Sounds like you guys are having a blast. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am sure a lot of folks buy a bike and then realize they don't enjoy it much / or don't make time or have time for it. I am loving it. So is my dog. I have been running him while I pedal my bicycle and he loves it so much. My neighbors laugh when they see us coming down the street. Great exercise for both of us.
How did you figure out fitting? Did someone you know have one? Or was there one at an LBS nearby?

I'm thinking about getting one too, but am not sure how to figure out what size to buy. I'm 6'2'' so I'm trying to decide between 19'' and 20.5''

Did Crosslake have phone support that would assist in bike sizing?

Any help would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a 15" Marin Alpine Ridge 29er from Crosslake a few weeks ago for $620 shipped. It assembled easily and i've ridden it twice on some trails. The bike itself is nice with decent components. I've already upgraded the shimano crank to a 2x9 raceface ride setup with ext BB. It rides much better than my old Trek4300 due to the frame and it fitting me much better.

·
Registered
35 Posts
How did you figure out fitting? Did someone you know have one? Or was there one at an LBS nearby? I'm thinking about getting one too, but am not sure how to figure out what size to buy. I'm 6'2'' so I'm trying to decide between 19'' and 20.5'' Did Crosslake have phone support that would assist in bike sizing? Any help would be appreciated :)
I saw someone from Crosslake helping folks with sizing on their Facebook page if that helps. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How did you figure out fitting? Did someone you know have one? Or was there one at an LBS nearby?

I'm thinking about getting one too, but am not sure how to figure out what size to buy. I'm 6'2'' so I'm trying to decide between 19'' and 20.5''

Did Crosslake have phone support that would assist in bike sizing?

Any help would be appreciated :)
This chart is accurate. I rode a 17 inch Marin and it was too small for me. I am 5'11. I purchased a 19" and I am glad I did. If you are 6 foot 2 I would go with the 20.5" , no doubt. Unless for some reason you have unusually short legs. Keep in mind the bike I ordered is a hardtail... whichever style bike you choose can determine what size you need.

Marin Bikes | Bike Sizing Charts | Mountain Bikes, Road Bikes, and City/Commuter Bicycles | us

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I bought a 15" Marin Alpine Ridge 29er from Crosslake a few weeks ago for $620 shipped. It assembled easily and i've ridden it twice on some trails. The bike itself is nice with decent components. I've already upgraded the shimano crank to a 2x9 raceface ride setup with ext BB. It rides much better than my old Trek4300 due to the frame and it fitting me much better.
Great , man ! Did changing the crank make a big difference for you ?

·
Registered
506 Posts
I was looking closely at the 2013 Marin Bobcat Trail 9s that are listed on eBay and Amazon right now for $565 shipped. I couldn't really find a whole lot of reviews/opinions on them. How do these models stack up against say the Airborne Guardian? Components seem to be comparable but I couldn't really find anything on the frames.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was looking closely at the 2013 Marin Bobcat Trail 9s that are listed on eBay and Amazon right now for $565 shipped. I couldn't really find a whole lot of reviews/opinions on them. How do these models stack up against say the Airborne Guardian? Components seem to be comparable but I couldn't really find anything on the frames.

Also interested in this...looking at both of these bikes. Currently leaning towards the Marin after seeing the Raidon fork and nearly $100 less in price. Previously I was absolutely sold on the Guardian.

·
Registered
14,063 Posts
The frames will have been built in China like most. The tapered head tube on the Marin compares with the Seeker as does the fork. But the Raidon is more user friendly. It has a sealed oil damper system for no maintenance.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts