Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,205 Posts
I hope so, otherwise it'll just be me! I plan on doing the 63 miler, that's the plan, anyway! How about you, Charlie?

·
More pie please
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I wish I could, the 100km was in my plans for the year but my injury was too much of a set-back.

///Charlie

·
I'm a "she".
936 Posts
I know of three more who are planning to be there this Saturday. Mudncrud and I will be thinking of you guys and gals out there. We would join if we were not going to Outerbike. Have fun!!!

·
Custom User Title
7,430 Posts
I will probably only ride from HH to DR, to check out a couple trails I have not been on near DR, checking for Nov. 1 Get Lost event.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been planning and training for it, but ended up here in AZ until the 9th. I might try to do it the 12th or 19th when I get back, would be great to have someone else to ride with if anyone wants to do a later run on it!! Sorcerer, I think the start is planned for 7 AM, you can see that and other details at The Hard COEre 100 - home

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Yep, I know they started at 7am before, but I think I had heard they were thinking of starting a bit later due to synchronization with darkness or something weird like that. Maybe I should start on Friday night!? Gulp...

·
King Of Tooth Tarter
455 Posts
Go Big!

What time will the riders begin?
It is a 7am start at Hunting Hollow.

Thank you for starting this thread Charlie. I was planning to yesterday, then today but forgot. Looks the the weather will be pretty warm for the first time on this ride. The warmest it has been in the past was in the low 80's as I recall. That was optimum riding temperatures. If it is hot, it might slow riders down. This would be the first time there would be necessary swimming if it is real hot like it seems it might be. Predicted for Gilroy is 84 (with a feel like 88) so that could be "interesting".

Needless to say, it will be difficult out there. Finish times vary from the incredible 16 hours to 22, 23 hours. You will be in your saddle many hours. You will need a water filter. You will need lights. It is all about survival. Unsupported. Bring your own food. Consider that fact that you will spend the day in Coe. Food enough for all day. It will be heavy. But worth it. Hammer Perpetuem is what I use. Bring anything that will help you survive the day. Bailouts are everywhere but it is still a long ride back to your car. Bring lights. Enough batteries for the night as the average rider will be riding most of the night. Bring spare tubes. Bring any tools you may need since it is pretty raw out there.

Dirk is planning on making a cameo appearance to clue riders in on what to expect. He will not be riding it.

See you there,

Roy.

·
Life is strange
1,991 Posts
Good luck you nut cases!

I might be out at HQ later today with my 2 year old on a short hike!

·
More pie please
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ElHombre reports from the starting line that…

plymmer, Sorcerer, mboldt, Liehann, and Brian L (course record holder) started the 100 mile.

Shredchic, Janet W, DogMeatQueen, and one other for the 100km.

A couple others started early (maybe Eric S & Todd M from the nightriders email list).

I’m going out for a short Coe sunset ride followed by a vigil at Hunting Hollow to hopefully see some of the finishers. Folks, if you could please finish by 9 or 10pm, that’d be nice :)

///Charlie

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,205 Posts
Wow, that was the toughest ride I have ever done, and it was just the metric! So nice of Charlie & Anne-Marie, Knobs, Diskus Mike and Beanbag to be hanging out at the finish, so I didn't have to drink my beer alone! :p I got done at eight, and I didn't have lights! the last three miles were in the dark. My emergency headlamp was later found sitting useless in my car.

When almost at the parking lot in the pitch black, I ended up in an area penned of by a fence. I went another way and was thwarted by another fence. I could see my car! And people! This ride just didn't want to end! Finally I was like, screw it! And climbed over the damn fence. And so my ride ended.

Done. (Conk).

1 - 20 of 185 Posts