Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Do you still need a floating rear brake to avoid brake jack?
I talked to Bruno from Foes a couple days ago because I was buying their demo FXR but it did not have a floating brake. He said that the difference is that you'll just have to adjust your riding style a little bit without it. The only thing really is that if you're going through rock gardens and brake while you're going through them, without the floating brake the shock will stiffen up a bit more than if it had the floating brake. Ideally, you would brake before you hit the rock garden and not while going through it. They are not installing the floating brake on any new bikes to save weight and just to keep it simple and not have more things break etc etc etc...

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
The floater makes a big difference for late braking

If you have the chance to set up for a hazard or corner breaking early works but when supprised that floater on my old Fly was a life saver.
Dig the new FXR; whish I still needed that much travel but I don't heal like I use to so my taste in bikes has transformed to the lighter and easier to pedal:D

·
the fat kid
432 Posts
I wondered what the story with the floating brake would be and there really isnt any other threads with more information. I'm disappointed that the new frames wont have the FB, but I understand simplifying and lightening up the frames. I personally love the floating brake on my Fly and will be searching for last years model FXR as my new trail bike. Luckily for me, I prefer the FB frame geometry over the new slacker HA for trail use.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts