Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2013 Fox 32 Talas 140 CTD.

Does anyone else feel this way? Just got mine last month and kind of disappointed. Expected more I guess. No lockout even though the salesperson said it had one, but being my first Talas fork I really don't see much difference on the climbs. A simple lockout like my old fork was more effective, for me at least. Seems like a typical "new and improved " sales pitch to keep the engineers at there jobs like every other industry these days. The fork has a great feel when set to plush but really am not impressed with the Talas setting or the missing lockout feature. Also don't see much difference with the adjustment dial from soft to medium to firm.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Talas just moves the suspension from your top adjustment to a lower adjustment. It has nothing to do with lockout or shock settings. Terralogic on the other hand is supposed to help with that.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
It seems like they oversimplified the damper. You wouldn't be the first guy being unimpressed with the CTD, it's a shame though. :(

Threads like this just confirm my decision of going with the 2012 Fox Float 34 FIT RLC instead of the CTD stuff.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
I'm pretty happy with my Float CTD so far...after all it is very similar to the FIT RLC that I have. At 200lbs, I thought that the Descend mode may be unusable, but with the right air pressure, it works out - but strictly for the rough downhills, as soon as I start heading uphill, I need to go for the trail mode. In that respect, I was able to set up my FIT RLC to be more set and forget - I always ride that fork in the open position, except for fire road.

Like the OP mentions, the Climb mode is not a firm lockout - I think mine get's about an inch of movement when I am standing on a climb. The fact that the CTD does not have a lockout force adjust knob(like the fit rlc), is going to be an issue for some folks. However, I actually like a bit of movement when the fork is in a locked out position, so that is not an issue for me. It's more of a trail tuned lockout, where as a extra firm lockout is pretty useless on the trail(unless it's a completely smooth trail).

The fork was also smooth out of the box, even with what appears to be a lack of bath oil. This is not something I found with my other FIT RLC fork.

Only regret is not going with the 34 model.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
at least I know it isn't broken now...

Trying different air pressures to remedy the problem. Manual says 125lbs max and still don't see a difference between trail and climb. Really miss that lockout Does it matter what setting the fork is on when filling with air? Also, there is a screw on the bottom on the left side opposite of the damper. Does that do anything for setting the fork? I am just filling on the top side where the Talas switch is now.

Could have bought a Talas 100-120-140 for half the price and kinda wish I did. The 100 setting might have made a noticeable difference on climbs as well as having a lockout.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for your input. Took it out for a good ride at 125psi yesterday (manual suggests 100psi for my weight) and it is much better now. Steep standing climbs, technical & fast downhill stuff and it was the best ride I have had with it. The Climb mode was OK at this psi.

This morning, I found a manual at Fox's website that had much more setup info. The trail adjust knob is only for Trail mode. Seems obvious now, but there is nothing in the box it came in to explain this. So all that messing with that knob in climb and descent mode was a waste of time and just led to confusion.

So, the settings are: Trail (formerly lockout) 3 settings for Trail mode, and Descent mode (which is where you set your sag to 20-25% BTW) Can't wait to try it again now that I know this, and I am already much happier about the purchase. Hope this at least helps someone from having the month of frustration and disappointment I had....

They need to re-write the manual.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
Glad it is starting to work out for you. I got my 5th or 6th ride in on mine today and think the CTD is working well. I tend to use the CTD lever quite a bit because I haven't found a setting that is really set and forget - trail mode could be set and forget, if you don't mind less slow speed small bump compliance.

Yeah, the trail adjust only affects the Trail mode - Descend and Climb are fixed.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The sag in Descend mode is set at 20% now and it is really becoming the shock I thought it would be. Did not bottom out, and felt real good on +40mph downhill stuff with lots of bumps.
Feel a lot more confidence now that it is set up better. At the recommended 100psi for my weight, it was horrible. Bottomed out in all modes, and was a dangerous ride on many occasions. Maybe I'm just a little hard on the equipment?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts