Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having been beaten to pieces in a couple of really rocky races last spring I finally gave in to full sus. I test rode a bunch of bikes and and was about to give up and decided to give the Epic a try, a few pedal strokes and I was getting that "this is the one" feeling, so I ordered one.

I spent 3-4 days pedaling around my back yard trying different settings to get the suspension just right. It had been raining, the trails were closed and I was getting antsy, so backyard it was.

What appealed to me in the parking lot test was the way it accelerated, there was immediate forward motion without any of that mushy feeling I'd experienced on the other bikes I'd demo'd. That same feeling was apparent on the trail as well. The ride isn't really plush but after a switch back to my hardtail I quickly realized the suspension was doing a lot more than what I thought.

The bike works well enough as a trail bike but it's taught stiff nature is always coaxing you to go a little faster. The more I hammer it the better it seems to work. I thought the Brain was a bit gimmicky but it seems to work well enough. Unless the trail is really smooth I normally use one or two clicks from full open, pretty much set it and forget it.

I have the comp version and it could be a little lighter, but hey you get what you pay for. I really only notice when I'm lifting it over some unrideable obstacle. The x7 shifters are a little clunky but do the job and the Magura brakes are ok. I'm a one finger brake guy and the Elixirs seem to be a bit more powerful. Those are the only real complaints so far.

It took me a while to really understand this ones personality. Drop a little pressure in the tires and it will roll along on those mellow rides in relative comfort but it really comes alive when you pick up the pace. Short of big drops the harder you push it that better it works, and that's fine with me.

·
And I'm out.
506 Posts
senseye1977:

Which fork are you running and what settings are on the fork most of the time? How much do you weigh and what is the type of terrain that you ride through look like?? How tall are you?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice review, but would you buy the same bike today or would you rather go the with camber or even stumpy?
I test rode the camber and didn't care for it. Maybe it wasn't set up properly but it had that mushy feeling when pedaling out of the saddle. I don't think the stumpy was available last year but would have been a contender if it was. I almost went with the Trek Superfly 100 but in my price range the Epic was spec'd a bit better and I like the 2x10 drivetrain.

I wish the high speed compression damping was a bit softer for "small chatter" type terrain but I favor pedaling efficiency over plushness and it's not enough of an issue for me to not like the bike. I think they can "tune" the brain a bit when it gets serviced and I'll address that issue then. I can make the bike ride softer by lowering the air pressure in the shock a bit but with limited travel it won't take the bigger hits as well.

I sort of took the long way around but unless something else really jumped out at me I'd buy another one. The only thing I'd do different is to jump up a peg or two component wise. I would have rather had XT than the Sram stuff. Not that it's the end all bike but for the money it covers most of the bases for my style of riding, fast trail bike-weekend racer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.