Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 347 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
I can't get stoked on a $3k bike with X5 bits.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Why are bikes in Australia so cheap? They have the 0 for $7499 AUD, which converts to ~$7700 USD. The US retail price is $8900.

Alas, up here in Canada I'm told we won't see it until the date really is 2013. A road trip south may be in order.

·
~Reformed Mechanic~
2,177 Posts
I can't get stoked on a $3k bike with X5 bits.
Are you serious?? In case you haven't checked lately most $ 3k carbon bikes will buy you a frame only! I consider the X5 and everything else freebies at this level...

·
little mad riding hood
407 Posts
my husband and I are planning to pick up a pair of the Anthem X1 Advanced 29ers as soon as we can get them in stock here. We'll have to sell our 2009 AX 26ers too, but they were well loved.

Anyone on the boards actually seen one in person yet? We are set to demo a pair of Anthem X 29ers at the LBS (Full Cycle) this weekend but would like to know if anyone's ridden both yet, and are able to give insight on how the carbon model compares in weight, ride, etc.

Curious how these will compare to our aluminum 2009 model Anthem X0 (he) and X2 (me)... although I've put a full X0 drivetrain & Elixir CRs on mine and upgraded the wheelset to a pair of Cobalts so it's no longer "stock" in any sense.

Does anyone have the scoop on the Giant factory wheelsets? Before you get all snarky, I did poke around in that jillion page wheel thread, but the info in there on spec is pretty old and the thread in general is more like 200 posts of arguing about everyone's preferred ghetto tubeless homebrew setup. More interested to know actual specs and weight of the most current update factory PXC29-2 wheelsets, meaning: whether they've upgraded them since 2010, or if they're even worth bothering with to keep. If they're heavy, flexy pigs, we'd rather swap out immediately for something more race tuned. We both weigh <140 and race Sport/Expert level XC so this is our central role for these bikes.

thanks!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Got an Anthem X1 Advanced 29er being assembled for me at my local bike shop. They have one in stock also but it was the wrong size. The color is not my favorite but the component spec is right on the 1. Not sure on the PXC29-2's if they are any lighter then the prior models. My guess is they aren't super heavy but not as light as a decent set of aftermarket wheels.

·
~Reformed Mechanic~
2,177 Posts
Does anyone have the scoop on the Giant factory wheelsets? Before you get all snarky, I did poke around in that jillion page wheel thread, but the info in there on spec is pretty old and the thread in general is more like 200 posts of arguing about everyone's preferred ghetto tubeless homebrew setup. More interested to know actual specs and weight of the most current update factory PXC29-2 wheelsets, meaning: whether they've upgraded them since 2010, or if they're even worth bothering with to keep. If they're heavy, flexy pigs, we'd rather swap out immediately for something more race tuned. We both weigh <140 and race Sport/Expert level XC so this is our central role for these bikes.

thanks!
I sold my Giant S-XC29-2 the PXC's should be a little lighter and stiffer. Honestly the SXC were not as terrible as a lot of low end factory wheels Ive replaced. I was able to cut almost 1.5 lbs with new pacenti Tl28's and going tubeless over the SXC. I personally always have to make wheels a priority, but if your just trail riding for fun the stock wheels should serve you well and save you mucho $

·
little mad riding hood
407 Posts
I sold my Giant S-XC29-2 the PXC's should be a little lighter and stiffer. Honestly the SXC were not as terrible as a lot of low end factory wheels Ive replaced. I was able to cut almost 1.5 lbs with new pacenti Tl28's and going tubeless over the SXC. I personally always have to make wheels a priority, but if your just trail riding for fun the stock wheels should serve you well and save you mucho $
thanks - wheels are pretty much a priority for us as well. Typically what we'd do with a real pair of dogs that we'd have a hard time reselling is to set them up as bomber/winter wheels and just take the hit. If these are not worth reselling we'd do that. If we maybe able to get a couple hundred bucks out of them we'd rather go that way before we even get them dirty and put the cash towards the Stans/Mavic/Crank Bros higher end stuff we're planning to get anyway for racing.

we are not just trail riding for fun. our main focus for these bikes would be XC racing, stuff like Mountain States Cup and the Winter Park series. There's enough tech in the region and we are both old enough that we'd rather go 29er f/s than hardtail; we do some light enduro racing as well (FC 50, some of the Maverick series epics). Zero interest in doing park stuff, free riding or whatever the kids these days call it. In fact, I had an '08 Trance X for ~3 months and sold it to fund my AX; it was a fun bike on the Colorado Trail, but generally too heavy and not quick enough for what I ride 90% of the time, and no amount of upgrading would have gotten it where it needed to be.

·
little mad riding hood
407 Posts
The color is not my favorite but the component spec is right on the 1. Not sure on the PXC29-2's if they are any lighter then the prior models. My guess is they aren't super heavy but not as light as a decent set of aftermarket wheels.
I am right there with you on the color; process blue has never been my fave. I really wish the colorway on the 2 was available without the associated component hit, but oh, well-- I already have several black-white-and-red bikes as it is, time for something different.

You'll have to update when you get the bike and get some time on it.

I guess our question on the wheelset is: is it more worth it to keep the stock wheelset as spare beaters or would they hold enough resale value to just strip and sell them unridden/undirtied. I suppose I could always ask the shop about swapping them out, too (craigslist is such a PITA these days).

·
~Reformed Mechanic~
2,177 Posts
I guess our question on the wheelset is: is it more worth it to keep the stock wheelset as spare beaters or would they hold enough resale value to just strip and sell them unridden/undirtied. I suppose I could always ask the shop about swapping them out, too (craigslist is such a PITA these days).
If you race then those wheels need to go :thumbsup:

If it helps my unused 2012 S-XC29ers went on ebay for $100. If your lucky you might get $200 for the PXC's IMO its not worth selling them for that price. Keep them and use them for training and "fun". Then pickup your designated race wheels.

p.s at 26.5lbs I'm faster in every way on my AX29 then any of my 22-23lb race builds ;)

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
the 2013 Trace 29er is stated to sport some all new giant wheels that are wider and tubeless ready - per the early specs being released on pinkbike, bikeradar etc... anticipate that the Anthems will see em at some point in the lineup

·
little mad riding hood
407 Posts
If you race then those wheels need to go :thumbsup:

If it helps my unused 2012 S-XC29ers went on ebay for $100. If your lucky you might get $200 for the PXC's IMO its not worth selling them for that price. Keep them and use them for training and "fun". Then pickup your designated race wheels.

p.s at 26.5lbs I'm faster in every way on my AX29 then any of my 22-23lb race builds ;)
you guys rock, thanks!

yea I'm trying to convince the man of the house that reselling the stock wheels will be more of a PITA in the long run. That plus since this is our first ever foray into 29er territory, it will be nice to have spares. I don't quite think that part's sunk in yet. We have plenty of spare hoops for all our other whips (our garage resembles a bike shop but that's another issue).

I'm a LOT faster on my 25(ish) lb non-stock 2009 AX2 than I ever was on my super duper ultra flyweight XTR-everything sub-20 lb late 90s Klein hardtail with the 1200 gram wheelset. Trust me, I get it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finally saw these 2 models at the bike shop (1 & 2 AX29er), stunning color scheme.

Attachments

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
IMHO, it never hurts to have a spare set of wheels and since this is your first move into 29ers, that goes doubly. If it were me, I'd get the lightest race day wheels at your weight, drop the most weight I could, then set the stock wheels up with some heavier, everyday tyres to play and train on - nothing beats training on heavy wheels and then throwing on super light wheels to race.

you guys rock, thanks!

yea I'm trying to convince the man of the house that reselling the stock wheels will be more of a PITA in the long run. That plus since this is our first ever foray into 29er territory, it will be nice to have spares. I don't quite think that part's sunk in yet. We have plenty of spare hoops for all our other whips (our garage resembles a bike shop but that's another issue).

I'm a LOT faster on my 25(ish) lb non-stock 2009 AX2 than I ever was on my super duper ultra flyweight XTR-everything sub-20 lb late 90s Klein hardtail with the 1200 gram wheelset. Trust me, I get it.

1 - 20 of 347 Posts