Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had some blunt 35's built up with a canfield 9t rear hub so I could put my 9 speed grip shift on. Mounted the tires, put a 30 tooth narrow wide on took off the front derailleur took off the rear shimano derailleur, put on the x-9. Guess what not enough adjustment on the low screw without doing some grinding, wtf, drive 50 miles to the lbs for a hanger, not happening. Looked on the rocky website to see if I can pick one up. Nope, didn't see any on there for that application. I'll put a call in to rocky on Monday. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
The Altitude hangers are available from Rocky and NSB

Small parts-Derailleur Hanger-Derailleur Hanger - 142 x 12 (Standard mount)
Rocky Mountain 12 x 142mm Derailleur Hanger | North Shore Billet

But trying to get a hanger specifically for use with an X-9 and a 9T microdrive setup isn't likely to happen any time soon.

Are you talking about the B tension adjust screw or the H and L limit screws not having enough range? There's not a lot of extra meat on the B tension screw stop on the hangers to start grinding, you might have to Dremel the derailleur.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry should have been more specific. When the low adjustment screw is backed all the way out the derailleur still needs to move about an 1/8" toward the centerline of the hub. I would have to grind the channel the cable lies in. As far as using the canfield setup goes, it should setup just like any other cassette. I found the hanger for the 2013 msl only, didn't think to look under the standard hanger category. One to many guinness's. Thanks Rocky I knew you'd have the answer.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
That seems odd, it might be worth contacting Canfield and see if they are aware of the chainline issue with the SRAM derailleurs. Judging from the packages they offer on the website, they are more Shimano aligned, although their 9T conversion cogs are for use with a SRAM 10 speed cassette. Which begs the question about cog spacing compatibility with a 9 speed shifter. Tood bad they don't have the manual posted on their website

9t Conversion Cogs

Our Conversion Cogs replace the lowest 4 cogs on a standard 10 speed cassette with our custom 9t, 11t, 13t and 16t cogs. The kit is compatible with the following 10 speed cassettes on our 9t Microdrive Hub:
Sram 10 speed 11t-36t and 12t-36t Models:

PG-1070
PG-1050
PG-1030

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think its a canfield issue. The 750 I have came with a shimano deore xt dyna sys which has a split mounting bracket that sandwiches the hanger. I think the hanger is derailleur specific to shimano. The cassette I ordered for thier hub is the shimano capreo 9spd 9-26. I am using the 4 smallest cogs from that, then I took apart a couple different cassettes from the spare parts box at the bike shop to get to a 9-34 ratio with a 30 tooth narrow wide up front. I've been planning to go back to a 1x setup since I got the bike. I just forgot about the proprietary hanger they used, so, hopefully all's well when the normal hanger shows up.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm going to dig this up, because the derailleur hanger is quite confusing on this bike.
The one that comes on the bike is designed to be used exclusively with a Shimano Direct mount RD? And seems to be nearly impossible to find a spare, though looks burly enough that maybe they never break?
The "other one" which is shown in the link above is also listed as a Derailleur Hanger for the Altitude, but looks totally different and less beefy. Am I to understand that it could be used in a pinch if you add the B-Link back to the derailleur?
To be clear, I'm talking about the 2013 Altitude 750 and whatever other frames share the same RD type.
Thanks.

·
Registered
522 Posts
To answer my own question: Yes to all of the above.
Given that their website store is down, it is nearly impossible to find a replacement for the original "direct mount" version of the hanger.
Aaannndd, said hanger can only be used with newer Shimano rear derailleurs because they have the removable B-Link that allows them to be run as a "direct mount" RD.
Aaannnd, the other hanger, which is very easy to find on the now dead Rocky website and from Derailleurhanger.com and from NSB, will fit right onto the 2013 Altitude frame. Simply return the B-Link back to the derailleur and you're good to go. Minor derailleur tuning applies.
This all makes sense, as otherwise one would not be able to run a Sram drivetrain on this generation of bike. Which might make a certain manufacturer mad. And might exclude the use of XX1.
This is also nice to know, because the non-direct-mount version of the hanger is about half the cost as the direct-mount version, should you need to replace it. Though you probably won't, since it's is a stout muttha [email protected]@@a.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been running My 1x9 with the canfield micro drive for a couple months now with no issues after I got the right hanger. Plenty of top end could use a little more low end, but I'd need to buy a gxp crank I have a 30t narrow wide up front. Dropped the chain 1 time going down a bunch of stairs, none on the trail, I ride some pretty technical trails w/fast downhills. Overall an excellent setup. Sorry I took so long to update I'm suffering from ADD/CRS.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.